1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old crt tv and seperate dvd player

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by iambigh, Mar 25, 2009.

1. iambigh

iambigh Member

Hi guys, I have been given a 14" crt tv & and a dvd player for the grandkids to use when they visit. Great, the only problem is I can't get the dvd player to show on the tv. I'm using a scart lead to connect the 2 together but when I put a dvd in and press play, the disc starts to play but I can't find any channel that it will show on.
    The tv is an old Daewoo GB 14A51 and the dvd is an equally old Aiwa XD-DV480EZ. I have no manuals for either and they would appear to be so old as to not appear on their respective websites.
    The tv works fine for the usual terrestrial programs but I can't find any way to set anything else up; I'm stumped !!!
    Any help would be gratefully received.

2. vballstud

vballstud Guest

For that kind of connection, I would suspect that it's not a channel that you'd need to find... but an alternate source input of some kind. For example my tv has multiple source inputs...
    TV1
    AV1
    AV2
    S-Video1
    S-Video2
    YPbPr1
    YPbPr2
    HDMI
    VGA
    DTV

On many TV's you could only access those options through the original remote control.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

set the tv channel to 3 or 4 when using a player whether vcr or dvd.

4. iambigh

iambigh Member

vballstud: there are no other inputs on the back of the tv, as I say it's a very old one and although I have the correct remote there is no user manual to get tuning information from. The only connection between the two is the scart socket on each device.

ddp: surely tuning to channel 3 or 4 would just show the tv progs ???

Thanks for your replies, please keep them coming.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is how ours work. both units have to be on same channel.

6. iambigh

iambigh Member

Sorry ddp you now have me totally confused ( not a difficult thing to do, I admit). I can only assume that when you tuned your dvd player to the tv you chose channel 3 or 4 as the dvd channel ???
    I am not in a position to tune the dvd to the tv as I do not have the manuals to do so. I cannot find any button on either remote to autotune the dvd player.

7. newroach

newroach Member

The channel may be something very high, and may not appear automatically by default. See if you can get into the setup menu and do a channel autoscan when the DVD player is playing. For example, my partner's old RCA tube TV only shows the "video in" (S-video and component) at channels 90-92.

As for the Channel 3/4 advice, this only works when the units are connected by the RF/Coaxial connectors (which VCRs generally outputted).

8. iambigh

iambigh Member

Newroach: thanks for the reply, I have had the dvd playing and I've selected every channel in turn (69 of them) with no success.
    Getting into the setup is where the problem lies I think; I've also tried every button on both remotes. There is a setup button on the dvd remote but it does not appear to do anything.

9. newroach

newroach Member

What other outputs are there on the DVD? Anything other than SCART? And are you certain 69 channels is/was the maximum in your market? The channels may be hidden even higher. You could see if the DVD player menu has anything about video outputs. Our old CRT TV had a menu/setup button on the box itself which helped.

10. iambigh

iambigh Member

I'm just about to check the tv to see if there is a flap of some description that's hiding any buttons.

11. iambigh

iambigh Member

Thank you very much guys for your input, the mystery is now solved..........The cheapo scart lead is the problem; changed it and it works as it should. Kicks in as you put the power on now, terrible picture though but I'm off to the supermarket to get the shopping so I'll have a look for a lens cleaner while I'm out.