1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old DVD playback failures

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bruceb, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bruceb

bruceb Member

Excuse me if this subject has already been covered.
    I have some old DVD home movies burned between 6 and 18 months these all played perfectly on several different players shortly after burned. I now find they will not play. they load ok but stall at various stages. There were 3 different burners used and three different software packages.
    Has anyone out there come across this problem.
    Thanks

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I read something a few days ago, that someone also mentioned that some cheap media will burn and play ok.

Then after sometimes, the media degrades and gives some problems.

I've only started to burn DVDs not long ago, so I guess I will need to wait a few months and see if my 1st ones still runs :)

3. bruceb

bruceb Member

Thanks Cougar_ii
    Some further information
    The later verbatim disc's were burned using Nero software and the labels were ink jet printable.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its usually the cheaper/poor quality media that causes your problem. Verbatim is considered one of the better ones if it is grade A. Your other problem is the stick on labels. Its really not a good idea to label burned dvd movies. If you can slowly remove one of the labels on a disc that is giving you the problem and try playback you might see an improvement. Try a product called GOO GONE to remove the label. Wet the label with Goo Gone and let it soak in for 5-10 minutes. It should pull off. Won't hurt the disc but don't bend the disc while pulling.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  5. bruceb

bruceb Member

Thanks Jerry
    My latest DVDs are manufactured with the blank printable label it is then printed directly onto by the BJ printer I dont think there is any heat from the printer.
    I still have the problem playing in older (2years old )dvd players.
    I have one of my earlier disc's which i will attemp the label removal trick.
    Thanks again

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The direct print blanks are OK. Its just the ones with stick on labels you might have problems with. My daughter has a 2 year old Toshiba that couldn't play my backups. I then tried one without the label and it worked fine. My player has no problem with the stick on labels, just her's. Good Luck.

Jerry

7. bruceb

bruceb Member

Thanks for your help.
    I have managed to do another copy on one of my earlier DVDs. During the reading process I had several failures the first being around 70% complete then around 30% complete then at 4% complete, when I removed the disc it was very warm, I shut down the PC and waited a couple of hours for things to cool then attemped to burn again this was succesful, seems to me that temperature could have somthing to do with these failures as well as the label problem.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are 2 possible ways stick on labels may cause playback problem. The first being a possible out of balance problem due to the sticker. The second is that the label absorbs and holds extra heat which then warps the disc causing playback problems. In either case not a good way to playback dvds. So letting your player and disc cool off will help until it heats up again.

Jerry

9. bruceb

bruceb Member

Just to say thanks to those that responded, it has helped enormously.
    After reading other list’s and this list I now understand more about the problems that could occur during disc burning. It makes logical sense about the label problem…thanks Jerry your response is most appreciated

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Glad to be of some help.

Jerry