1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old response from user HKM

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by mrdave, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mrdave

mrdave Member

To retrophan: nope, nothing else needed. Like the OP said, no need to use NVE - just regular Nero should do the trick. Just be SURE that the video file & the SRT subtitle file have **exactly** the same base name, capitalized exactly the same, and in the same folder [good to keep everything else out of this folder as well.]

Example:

MyMovie.AVI
    MyMovie.SRT

If you had named your SRT as say My-Movie.SRT many apps wouldn't recognize it.

Also you'll need to select the output format - I'm assuming you'll be doing a DVD to play on most standalone DVD players? If so, Nero will guide you thru this process. Otherwise, you could create an SDVCD assuming you'd want this, meaning if the video is short enough it'll fit onto a standard CD (700meg).

IF your movie is longer than a standard DVD format [just under 4.7 gigs] Nero will warn you if you want to "shrink to fit." Nero doesn't always do the best job of shrinking, but it's usually good enough for most uses.

Finally, if the AVI video is PAL and you want NTSC, Nero will also warn you about this [again, it doesn't always do a good job of format conversion, but it's good enough for most general purposed].

If you're not sure what you're doing, I always recommend buying a few re-writeable DVD's [DVD-RW] -- only a bit more than DVD-R which can't be re-used. This way you won't be cursing yourself out if the first burn doesn't come out exactly the way you want.

Play around with the settings in Nero if you want, and you can also create some pretty nice basic menus, buttons, additional screen, etc.

Hope this helps!

OK. Firstly let me start off that Im posting like this because it won't let me respond to a thread older then 60 days cause my title is Newbie. That being said, I have a few questions about this thread. To my understanding, you don't need any other software besides Nero to add in .srt (subtitles). Now I have a file type - video clip and an SRT file to go with it, however I cannot add it to Nero as it doesn't see it as a recognized file type. I have Nero 7 Premium and noted that I only need to use Nero Burning Rom however I only have audio and Data for that option. I opened data and tried to add the file with no avail as neither files I had were supported files. I also tried it in Start Smart - make your own dvd-video but it won't accept the srt file. I know its asking alot but can someone give me a little step by step on how to add these files? Do I need to convert the video clip file to avi for nero to see it?

2. mrdave

mrdave Member

OK. Firstly let me start off that Im posting like this because it won't let me respond to a thread older then 60 days cause my title is Newbie. That being said, I have a few questions about this thread. To my understanding, you don't need any other software besides Nero to add in .srt (subtitles). Now I have a file type - video clip and an SRT file to go with it, however I cannot add it to Nero as it doesn't see it as a recognized file type. I have Nero 7 Premium and noted that I only need to use Nero Burning Rom however I only have audio and Data for that option. I opened data and tried to add the file with no avail as neither files I had were supported files. I also tried it in Start Smart - make your own dvd-video but it won't accept the srt file. I know its asking alot but can someone give me a little step by step on how to add these files? Do I need to convert the video clip file to AVI for Nero to see it?

3. mrdave

mrdave Member

lol. Nevermind that question. Just found out video clip IS avi.