1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old school stereo question

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Bud72, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Bud72

Bud72 Member

mid '80s I bought a hitachi 120w amp; onkyo preamp; cd player; dual cassette deck and record player; a few yrs ago i wanted a receiver so i could have stereo also; I purchased a 200 wat am/fm receiver that had places to plug in all my other componenants(not sure if this is called an integrated amp or not)but i left everything plugged into my pre amp and hooked up the receiver. Question is... can i do away with my preamp and plug all my components(dont have the lp player hooked up anymore) into the back of my stereo along with my amp? yes the speakers can take it.But will it work?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

It all depends if it has the right connectors.. I'm not getting what you are trying to achieve.. why have 2 amps unless you have 2 pairs of speakers to go with them?
    Why don't you just use the receiver and ditch the preamp and amp together?

You can't put speaker outputs into amplifier inputs .. wrong impedance and usually lots of smoke following a big bang as the input circuits exit stage left (or through the top) !! You can't run 2 amps into 1 speaker either .. forget that idea.. you have to "bridge" them for that which means connecting 2 identical amplifiers in a certain configuration.. and it doesn't work with a lot of domestic equipment.. again big bangs, lots of smoke.. and a very large repair bill....

Start thinking properly.. DO YOU HAVE A USE FOR 2 AMPLIFIERS???? I would go to a biamped system, with an active crossover.. homebrewed up many of those.. running one at home right now.. 3 amps 2 pairs of speakers... ok tri-amp .. like a commercial large sound system.. x-over at 400 and 4000Hz (driver characteristics don'tcha know)

3. aldan

aldan Active member

if your receiver is the same vintage as your amp its probably not much of an amp.if this is the case run it as a receiver only thru your amp.if its a newer receiver you may want to research the specs and choose the best one for your amp.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I would say the hitachi is the better quality amp anyway.. it's more likely a proper 60 wpc instead of a "faked up" 200 watts music power (=40wpc IF you are lucky)

Needing a preamp I would guess it's one of their higher end ones.. those are quite nice but they do hiss quite a bit unless you replace all the nasty tantalum caps in the signal path with good quality polypropylene.

I run tube amps.. I have ears...

Never liked receivers.. always seemed like too many compromises piled in one box .. puzzles me why the OP didn't just buy a much cheaper high quality separate tuner.

Plus.. I would have kept the vinyl capability.. they sound so much better than any digital source..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Bud72

Bud72 Member

after i got the receiver/amp i hooked it into my preamp wasnt sure if i was getting the full watts from the receiver and seperate amp; thought i could consolidat (get rid of preamp) to make more space and run the amp through the 200watt receiver and all my components throught the receiver. i bought most of this stuff from crazy eddie back int the mid '80s and the 200w receiver later down the road ; but it all looks to be the same age; i was just trying to get more power and lose the preamp to make more room