1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD SYSTEM, NEW HARDDRIVE, NO MONITOR PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by friess, Jun 21, 2007.

1. friess

friess Member

Heres the situation, HP Pavilion 514n at work was beginning to freeze and crash. I removed the hard drive, stuck it in another machine as a slave drive, formatted it and installed XP Pro on it. I put it back into the Pavilion and nothing. The monitor remains in standby mode and nothing I can do will make it work.
    I realize that this is do to the lack of drivers. Since that harddrive would boot XP on the other machine (a win98 machine), I know its not the harddrive. I am also fairly confident that when I installed XP on the Pavilion harddrive while it was installed in the other machine, it probably learned the drivers from the other machine.
    Thats where I am and I need some guidance into where to go next. I looked for system drivers for the 514n, but found nothing, even if I did, I wouldnt be sure how to use them. Someone please help.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

If there isnt anything on your monitor, then it is probably a graphics card issue, not the HDD.

3. friess

friess Member

right, but the onboard card isn,t bad. I know that because it worked up until the reformat. The problem is the drivers are gone. How would one a.)find the correct drivers?
    b.)install the correct drivers without a display?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

only the operating system needs drivers not the post screen. check to make certain the data cable to the hd is not in reverse as in pin 1 to pin 40 when it should be pin 1 to pin 1. even disconnect the drive from the computer to see if computer will post.

5. friess

friess Member

I tried the computer without the HD plugged in, in fact I tried it with only the motherboard plugged into the power supply. Although the power supply is lighting up and the fan is coming on, I thought perhaps the 5V portion of the supply was bad. I tried another one that I knew was good, same results. I then took out the RAM card. No beep from the motherboard, no nothing. Only the power supply fan comes on. Everything appears to be ok, nothing is visibly broken. If I leave it on for a few minutes the heatsink over the processor gets hot, making me think it's running. Anyone have any other ideas?

6. ddp

try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes.

7. friess

friess Member

i don't know what that means or how to do it. can you please elaborate?
    Thanks

8. ddp

read the user manual as that info should be there.