1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old videos to DVD.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pas2mania, Dec 29, 2004.

1. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

Hi, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I have a camera from 1997, a JVC. I want to transfer all the tapes from the JVC to DVD, but the camera does not hook up to the computer. I have a tape buddy and I can play the old tapes in my VCR, but I dont know how to go from there. (My computer doesn't have S video in or any video in). So I was wondering if I could use my new camera that records on hi8 tape can record whats playing on the T.V. then go from there, it is a Sony hi8 camera, but I don't know how to record from the tv to the camera. Helpp pleasssee thanks. :)

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have to make an assumption that you mean camcorder and not camera.

I have an old JVC, like you. I installed a Hauppauge capture card and captured from the tape buddy in my VCR. There are many capture cards out there at various prices, so check around.

Also, if your new camcorder has a firewire output, and input jacks that your VCR can plug into, and what is know as a pass through feature, you can capture from the VCR, to your computer, through the new camcorder, via firewire connected from the camcorder, to the computer, if your computer has a firewire port on it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  3. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I think your new camcorder does have firewire capability. I am not sure, but I think the i.LINK DV Interface (IEEE1394) is firewire. You will need to buy the cable, because I would bet that you did not get one with your camera.

You also have to check to see if your computer has an IEEE1394 (firewire) port.

5. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

Thanks, I found out I have all the right stuff, but my vcr doesn't have a s-video, and only a white audio and yellow video thing. It should still work? Anyways whats a good capture software to use? I have Pixela 1.0, but now theres a 1.5. Also when I'm using 1.0 the capturing stops after 12 minutes in middle of a scene. Thanks :)I'm using usb to transfer but it stops after 12 minutes or sometime in middle of a scene. how can i fix this?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Don't use USB. You may get dropped frames. Get a firewire cable. I use Roxio EMC7 to capture, but you can use Nero or other software, too.

7. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

Okay thanks. I used usb cable and it looks horrible, skippy and you can see all the pixels and stuff.

8. permatex

permatex Regular member

i had a similar problem with a ragid picture and droped frames.to solve the problem i switchde my usb port from a 1.1 to a 2.0. 1.1 usb is not fase enough for movies on some systems.

9. mrjackson

mrjackson Member

I was going to start a thread, but this one has most of what I need already spelled out. I have a Sony TRV-460 that has pass through capabilities. Using the iLink cable (through the DV and firewire connections), with AV cables going to the camcorder, I can see the VHS signal in the viewfinder and all the way to the computer. Using either Studio 9 and also a program called Sonic My DVD, I can see the images, but when I click on the Start Capture button, the software signals my camcorder to start capturing from the Digital 8 tape. I spoke with Sony tech support, who told me I need to find the switch in the software to turn of the Camera Control commands. I've looked all over for the switches. I also tried this set up using Windows Movie Maker, but didn't get quite as far.

The manual says the camera can handle the pass through and I am sure I have the cables correct.

These are home movies and should have no copy protection.

Any help would be appreciated.

M. Jackson

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  10. Angra

Angra Guest

Lost in digital land! I've managed to copy an old VHS home movie to my hd using pinnacle PCTV Stereo, in MPEG 2 format and its OK,a little "pixly" but OK for a beginner, however, how can I fit an 8,43 GB movie into a 4.7 GB DVD? I have a trial version of Ulead VideoStudio 8, I don't want to edit the movie just compress it or whatever to to fit the DVD-R. Can anyone help me pleeeeeeeeeeeese. Any information is welcomed, keeping in mind that I need the "for dummies" version, too much technical jargon and I get lost. Thanks