1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldie VHS tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dmerrick, Oct 29, 2010.

1. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I have a lot of old DVD tapes that my kids watched. I now want my grandchildren to be able to see them. However, VHS is dead - not a bad thing.

I have copied family VHS's and created DVD's of all the old family tapes.

I am assuming that the VHS tapes are encrypted. Do I have to copy the encrypted VHS tape to my hard drive and then use DVDFab or AnyDVD to decrypt and then copy to DVD using Shrink an Nero?

I know there are other programs but will what I have do the job or am I totally off base and there is another - better - way to save these tapes for my Grandkids ( and hopefully their kids - but they can figure out how to do that if I can get them to DVD's - anything else is there problem).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

AFAIK there is no encryption on tapes.
    Some commercial tapes (all my Disney tapes and Total Recall - but none of the others) had Macrovision which prevent them being recorded by a device which honours Macrovision.
    A Macrovision tape can be copied if a cheap video 'stabilizer' is installed between the deck and the recorder.
    Some PC capture cards ignore Macrovision entirely so there is no requirement for an stabilizer (I have one made 20 years ago that still works).

http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/

3. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

Thanks. I will give it a try. I know I could not copy them 10 years ago but I didn't have the technology that I have now. I will check your link and give it a try.

4. xolx

xolx Member

5. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I tried a couple of my tapes. They recorded with sound but the movement was very jerky and in places the audio did not match the picture.

I am using AVS Video Recorder and the settings are YU2;640x480;30.0fps;147.45Mbps

Any suggestions - I could buy the DVD's but I hate to just throw out the vhs tapes

6. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Try STOIK. If it doesn't work, describe your setup and method in much more detail.

A second thing you can do is post a small section of your bad capture. Sometimes
    it gives clues as to what is going wrong.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Stoik_Video_Capture

7. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I downloaded STOIK and am using it now. I will let you know the results.