1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onboard sound or sound card?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by gruel, Oct 17, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh btw, the rapidshare file has been taken down, and converted to a 597KB file with no header, so it can't be downloaded.
    Told you it was too good to be true :p

Edit: never mind, it's just rapidshare's new speed limiting system, it splits the file into 597KB chunks and sends you one every 30 seconds. Since the file is 100 chunks, this could take a while...

Update: as suspected these are Vista64 drivers, not win7 ones, so while they install, they cause BSOD code 119 when you try to play a lot of games. I think I'll play it safe, uninstall them and go back to onboard.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

They can't keep him from doing it again. They can only remove what he has done.

Also remember the version I linked to is for an Audigy SE.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which is the very card I own. I'll do some more testing, the only game it's BSODed with so far is a very oddball title, but I still don't like random BSODs.

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

What title? AFAIK every game I own works fine in 7 with Daniel K drivers. Though mine is also a true X-Fi.

My buddy mostly plays L4D, GTA 4, and Crysis all without issue. I play everything from old to new and I've also had no issues yet bar lack of EAX Positional in a small few games even using ALchemy...(FEAR).

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, Puzzle Kingdoms, came completely out of the blue (screen of death) :p

6. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

My buddy works in a pc shop in the Netherlands so I asked him and he said they have no major problems with ASUS other then the typical things that apply to every company such as the occasional DOA,and so forth.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some consistent evidence there then...
    The main problem with analysing the poor reliability of Asus products is the time delay. Few exhibit problems at first, but a vast quantity go bad after several months.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha going to onboard sound for a puzzle game. To think Sam of all people :p

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I'm using an audigy SE in Windows 7 without issues or aftermarket drivers or anything...just use 7zip to extract the Vista64 driver package and install the driver manualy.

BTW...creative is a terrible company, they are better than some of the super-econo-cards, but companies like HT Omega are way better than creative.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, but anything but Creative or Asus sound cards are surprisingly difficult to find in the UK :(

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

That's why international shipping exists. Just be glad your not in Australia...no selection, plus crazy-high shipping costs.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's true, my Q9550 actually came from the US, back when the E0 steppings didn't exist in the UK.