1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my hard drives went empty after restart

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by qwerty882, May 2, 2004.

1. qwerty882

qwerty882 Member

Hi there! I have 2 hard dives. My primary is a WD 120GB and the slave is a WD 250GB. I restarted my computer and my primary boots up fine but when I try to access F: (the slave) windows tells my that my drive is not formatted. Not Formatted WTF? Not even 2 mins before I was in the drive. I just want to know if there is any way to salvage my data or am I going to have to perform a complete hard drive wipe and start over. Thanks a lot.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

What exactly were you doing before the restart that caused the problem? Installing software, downloading off the net? Need a bit more information.

Jerry

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Is the drive connected to the motherboard or to an add on controller card?

4. qwerty882

qwerty882 Member

Jerry- Before the restart I was listening to a song on my now blank hard drive. I downloaded an IE language pack right before I restarted the pc.

Vurbal- The drives are connected to an ATA Controller Card UltraTX100 or something along those lines.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I ran into a similar situation with a drive controller card quite a while ago. At the time I was running Windows 98 and Windows 2000. I had problems with the card's driver in both OSs and a one time, when I restarted, the drives on the controller showed up as unpartitioned. I was never able to get the data back from them, but it wasn't critical (I had just hooked them up) so I just partitioned and didn't worry about it.

I don't know if this is the problem you have, but it could be. I couldn't find a driver that worked right until I started using the generic Windows driver. You might want to see if you can find a newer driver for the card. It probably won't get your data back (don't know if you can or if this is what the problem is), but it's a good idea anyway.