1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One player but not another?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Fleezbyte, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Hello again guys, I assume this is another newbie question but I really need an answer and I know you guys know.
    A few movies, actually King Kong & A History of Violence, I have copied recently will not play without skipping ahead slightly in my stand alone Samsung player but will play flawlessly in my PS2. I am using Maxxell (RitekG05) and have even burned it as slow as 1X speed.

This player (Samsung) is about 5-6 years old and WAS at the time a top of the line player.

Do you guys think it's the Samsung or what? Thanks.

Allen

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Fleezbyte
    If it played flawlessly in the ps2 I'm thinking it's Samsung. My ps2 is pickier than my players which are newer.
    Players can be picky with media. Your using decent discs and you've varied the burn speed.
    I would also make sure your burners firmware is up to date.

3. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Binkie7, how do I check my burners firmware? Do you mean drivers? Sorry, I really don't know much.

Learning though...lol Thanks.

Allen

4. binkie7

The firmware teaches your drive read and write strategies of media and can sometimes unlock features.
    If you have windows XPSP2 - look here in device manager - right click on your drive- pick properties then the details tab. In this pic the firmware is 1.02
    [​IMG]
    There are other programs that will also give your firmware - like Nero, Decrypter, CloneDVD.
    You can then check your drives manufacturers site or here to see if there is a later version: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    You can also post back which version you have and we can go from there.

Besides making sure your firmware is up to date you may want to try Taiyo Yuden (instore look for Made in Japan only) fuji or Sony or Verbatim.

5. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Mine says AO7M, which I have no idea what that means you know? You my friend are vastly experienced. Thank you for your time. I would'nt even know how to change it or update it. Is it hard to do?

Allen

6. binkie7

LOL - stick around here and you will be too!
    Now what's the make and model of your drive? (forgot to ask that!)
    No it's pretty easy to flash/update. Takes like 2 mins max.

7. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Ok, thanks. I'm going to look right now.

Allen

8. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Ok here's the info:

Make: Dynex (el cheapo...lol)

Model: DX-DVDRW16

I hope I don't need one of those high priced drives. hahaha

Allen

9. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Is it the Macromedia page?

Allen

10. binkie7

Not sure what you mean by the macromedia page.
    It looks like your firmware is behind but the site I linked above is not responding today for some reason and Dynex's site is crap.
    From what I could find the drive comes with an auto update cd?

11. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Oh, I did'nt know I had to have specific firmware for my drive. That's why I said that. I'm looking for the CD now, if there is one.

Allen

12. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Ok, well I found this in the drive packaging (I keep everything)!

It says in order for my drive to always be optimized for performance and compatibility with the latest media go to either:

<<<<www.dynexproducts.com or www.drvupdate.com>>>>

Will this/these sites tell me what to do?

Allen

13. binkie7

All drives come with firmware - it's like a brain that tells it what to do - new things come out so needs to be updated to keep w/ it.
    You don't really need a specific one per say - it's just best to keep it as up to date as possible.
    The dynex products site is worthless but the drvupdate will guide you to finding and updating the firmware - click on the download (on left of page) and go from there.

14. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Well wish me luck I'm going to close up because I'm about to upgrade my firmware from A07M to AO9??

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!! I'll come back after to let you know how it went. Thank you so much for all of your help. I did'nt even know this was something that could be or had to be done. So can this help playback/copy problems some people have?

Talk to you in a few and thanks again!

Allen

15. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

Just did it right now and all seems well. Have'nt used it yet though, maybe later tonight after I watch "The Fog" and decide on wether I want to back this movie up or not.

Your information was sooooo helpful that I cannot thank you enough. I'd buy you a beer or wine cooler or soda or whatever floats your boat if you lived by me but I'm sure you don't so have a good evening and until the next problem.....lol

Allen

16. binkie7

Glad I could help you out!! The firmware may help the playback on the Samsung but it will help your drive recognize and burn to media correctly.
    One more peice of advice - Ritek is decent but Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim is much better and from my experience very compatible w/ burners and players.
    The other way to make it almost universally compatible is to booktype a dvd + r to dvd-rom. But it doesn't look like your drive supports that feature though from a quick glance on that drvupdate site had something about booktyping/bitsetting.
    Now for the drink - there's always the mail :0)

17. boviro

boviro Member

I have dynex DX-DVDRW16 and I followed your posts and I went to www.drvupdate.com downloaded and replaced my firmware from A07M
    to A091. After that The DVDs burned on it, will play only on my
    PC. My two DVD-players don't recognize the DVD-R or DVD+R
    burned after updade. I searched for my old firmware (A07M) and
    flushed it back. Now it's ok. So I don't recommend to update from
    A07M to A091.

18. Fleezbyte

Fleezbyte Guest

@boviro,

Yeah, you're right bro. Same thing happened to me, only I started having problems burning w/Nero afterwards. I just ended up buying a DW1650 BenQ burner and now I booktype all my Dvd's.

Zero problems now, but I think I'll have to reassign the older firmware for my Dynex drive before I give it to my daughter. Take care.

Allen

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2006