1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo sr501 and Cerwin Vega AVS5.1 Help

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mp3prozac, May 31, 2004.

1. mp3prozac

mp3prozac Member

I bought the Onkyo sr501 receiver to power the Cerwin Vega avs 5.1 speakers that I bought and am having some trouble setting up the system. The main problem is getting the subwoofer to work. I have read reviews that talk about setting the jumber inside the sub from auto to on and have done that. Now when I plug the sub into the amp, I don't get any bass. Please help, I could be plugging the sub into the wrong place on the amp or in the wrong place on the sub. I am not a newbie to computers but when it comes to recievers and home theatre systems I'll admit to being one. Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Are you plugging the subwoofer into the pre-out SW on the back of unit?

3. mp3prozac

mp3prozac Member

Thanks for the reply. I am plugging in what looks like an RCA cable to the Pre-Out on the amp but there are left and right female adapters on the sub to plug it into. I am not sure which one to use. Also there are clips for two speakers using wire to plug into the sub and two to go out of the sub. I'm not sure what they are for either. The manual for the speakers didn't say anything about that. The manual for the receiver was pretty thorough though. Thanks

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You only need to use one of the subwoofers left and right channels, which one, doesnt really matter. On the rear of the Head unit, correlate the L/R connection you used and connect it to a pre-out on the back of the Unit.