1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo TXSR500 sound but no picture

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mrdamage, Dec 26, 2010.

1. mrdamage

mrdamage Member

Onkyo TXSR500 AV receiver connected to Panasonic Viera TV. When I connect a device to the Video 2 or Video 3 input on the amp I get sound but no picture. I have tried to connect a Playstation 2 and WDTV LIve with composite cables but cannot get a picture on TV. Also tried optical input but still the same.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

How is the receiver connected to the tv? Make sure you use the same kind of output from "Monitor Out" to tv, as you used to the input.

Composite cable...........only the yellow cable is for video.
    Optical cable.............audio only. Video not possible over optical.
    Also make sure tv is set to right input, using the "Input" button on tv's remote.
    You'll get a little better picture using s-video instead of composite connections.

3. mrdamage

mrdamage Member

Thank you for your reply.
    Receiver connected to TV by s-video. From monitor out on receiver to AV1 in on TV.
    TV set to AV1 and receiver on video 2 or 3 sound but cannot get a picture.
    For DVD I select AV1 on TV and DVD on receiver and it works fine.
    TV is Panasonic TH-42PA60A.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

If you are using s-video from receiver to tv, you also need to use s-video from ps2 and WDTV to receiver, for video. If s-video from receiver to tv is AV1, and you have ps2 connected to AV2 of receiver, you need to have receiver on AV2, and tv on AV1, for ps2 to work right.

If that doesn't work, you'll need a video cable (s-video or yellow composite) going from receiver's AV2 output to tv, if ps2 is plugged into receiver's AV2 input (and of course audio connections).

Using the "Monitor Out" from receiver to tv's AV1 input, should cause the tv to be set to AV1 for everything, and on receiver choose AV2 or AV3 to use whatever is plugged into them.