1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only background sound

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by vtowner, Aug 12, 2007.

1. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

I just started getting this problem yesterday with the sound while playing dvds and mkv files from my hard drive. Whenever i try to playback a vob or mkv file in VLC or Media Player Classic, i can hear the background sounds like music, cars, etc., but i can't hear the people talking. I have the K-lite mega codec pack and the ac3 filter installed also.

It seems this is only when i try to playback dvd's and mkv's because everything is fine when i play avi files. The only software i have that will play them ok with the people talking is Nero Showtime 3.

Need some help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Somehow you'r not getting the centre channel.
    Using VLC, try 'Audio' > 'Audio Device'.
    Does it play ok on the standalone player (adjusting the audio menu).

Might also try AC3 Filter (it can be uninstalled if required).
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AC3_Filter

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  3. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Ok well i didn't notice this before but Nero Showtime is only playing avi's and dvd's at 2 channels. Even though i have a 5.1 surround sound system.

I changed the Audio Device in VLC, and i can hear the voices whenever it is on Mono, Stereo, and 2 front 2 rear, but it only plays in two channels. Whenever i change the Audio Device to 5.1 all i hear is background sound.

I already have the ac3 filter by the way.

I guess i'll try to download new sound drivers to see if that will help.

4. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

I fiddled around with some settings in Realtek and now it works. It's weird cause the only way it will play in 5.1 is if i have VLC set to 2 channels. Strange.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007