1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only Boxs Working in Ireland Hints and Tips - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by MICKAH, Jul 3, 2009.

1. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

and with Sky you are paying for multiroom, at least with cable you can still run your cable to other rooms and still get basic chans

2. reswob

reswob Regular member

maybe that option is not open to everyone Mickah?Mick said he was going back to ntl,I was simpley makeing comparisons thats all

3. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

if yer in the same area as the other folk, then it is an option, its an even better one if the other two guys are not subbing a box at all. Anyone who is in a cabled area (not MMDS) can avail of it as an option, the thing about sky is you pay for everything even an extra box in another room.

But its up to each individual to do the homework on cost and suitablity of each option.

4. reswob

reswob Regular member

Just a thought mick,Will ntl charge you on a monthly basis for all your cable points around the house?in other words you will always be paying for these points untill ntl remove them.How much these are i dont know.Is this true.

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

all depends, I split my cable into 3 rooms, when I got extra boxs at the time the engineer didnt put them down as he said it saved him hassle, now if I were to do it now and they tried to charge me I would tell em to get with it, as its not their points but mine and my cable, so if they want to charge me for them, they can run their own cable and install their own points if that were the case,

6. reswob

reswob Regular member

Mickah if i was to order mulitroom viewing would they not put there own points in and charge me on a monthly bases for this?

7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

Guya. is it not posssible to c/s using sly.

8. mick09

mick09 Member

thanks for the suggestion reswob but we're in an apartment block which is all N*L as far as im aware. We're paying €42 for basic digital pack & broadband. We dont own the place and wont be here permanently so it'll do! All channels are gone now bar RTE, BBC, UTV, C4.

9. reswob

reswob Regular member

no bother mate.

10. cubix

cubix Member

Just wondering if there is any other Irish Kyrptview users on here?. The brother is using it on the mmds system and like everyone else over here lost the premium channels when they switched to N3. The thing is he has been losing more and more of the basic ones and is left with just channels 101(Rte) upto 111(CH4). Before everyone jumps up and down saying "what do you expect its all N3", I dont think so. The reason I say that is because hes mate who also uses the mmds system but over in the saggart area is still working away as normal abeit less the premium channels like the rest of us. The only thing he is doing different is that he is using a Dreambox 500c.
    So I presume its not that the channels have gone to N3 but are being broadcast differently in a way the Kyrptview cannot pick them up. The brother installed the latest firmware 12/7/09 and did a rescan but no joy.

On a seperate note can card sharing be done on cable as it can with sat?

Thanks alot

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. gemineye7

gemineye7 Member

The end is nigh! for all boxs (really) (this time), just be thankful for all the suport you got from the lads while things ware good, 3 - 4 years of free footy and ppv boxing and W,W,E (if it ur thing) and Movies.......... was good while it lasted, thanks to all who helped me out. Even though the boxes are edited by ddp, i would never get sky or ntl. i would rather gag on ruperd murdocks edited by ddp than pay him that money, hes a edited by ddp hairy apest, of the highest degree..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gemineye, watch the language, post edited.

13. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

The difference is the boxes & what the software can decrypt. Some are obviously more capable of decrypting more channels than others.
    Also as ch*rus & NT* are being rolled into 1 their backend systems are also being upgraded & streamlined so some ares may still be on older cho*us kit.
    Won't be long till it's all locked down.
    Keep an eye on developments across the atlantic for cracks for N3... It might not be anytime soon but if a fix comes then all will be rosey again.

14. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

and they will prob come out with Nagra 4!!

Regarding different catchment areas, depending on the area, some may be on different set ups, even a couple of miles away, but they will close em off, just a matter of time

15. JaneyMack

JaneyMack Regular member

Agree they may respond & move to N4 if N3 is cracked but due to the level of technical detail which needs to be put into developing, testing & deploying N3 it's not just a tickbox that NT* can just click on thier systems. A lot of work will need to go into any future N4 encrytion.

It will take them some time to respond if N3 is cracked & made available. Also - if it is cracked it may not be made as freely available as N1/N2. Someone stands to make a tidy few quid on the back of any fix (that's assuming a fix comes).

I'm back on the basic package now myself. In 2 minds whether to hang on or look at alternatives.

Will probably give it the crimbo anyway to see if Santi brings any N3 presents.

16. timo077

timo077 Member

Quick question as iv bein out of the loop since i lost main channels on my box , im thinking of putting my stariew 4 up in room when i get tv for it in jan , will i receive any of normal channels still or are they all gone now too and leaving me to get in another box from n.l??:(

17. mick09

mick09 Member

All we were left with on the Eurovox EX5000 was RTE1,2, BBC 1,2, UTV, CHANNEL 4
    Dont know if you would get any more channels on the Starview box..

18. timo077

timo077 Member

ok thanks its probably the same il just have to get extra box in so :)

19. e45

e45 Regular member

Take the cable out of the box and put direct into the Tv you will then receive 20 channels approx FTA