1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

only burns dvd+r not dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bugmenono, Jan 22, 2007.

1. bugmenono

bugmenono Guest

i used to backup my dvd's using dvd-r but now for some reason it only burns with dvd+r. i have a NEC DVD+-RW. i use dvd shrink and decrypter. i also tried nero and i still can't use dvd-r. does anybody know whats up?

thanks

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

What model burner do you have?
    What firmware version is on the burner?
    What brand media are you using?
    Do you know the actual disk manufacturer's ID?

All of the above info can be obtained in any of the ways below:

- Run Nero InfoTool

- Put DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode and insert one of the blank disks. All the info needed is in the righthand column. The burner model and firmware version is the first thing listed. The Disk ID: is a ways further down the list.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dvd_decrypter/

- Run DVD Identifier.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com

Edit: corrected link

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. bugmenono

bugmenono Guest

i don't have a empty dvd-r at the moment so i put in a empty dvd+r. but i want to be able to burn using both the format not just one.

this is what i got from decrypter:

and this is what i got from nero info tool:

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

This is not very good quality media. If your -R media is equally crappy, that could be a large part of your problem. Your burner's firmware is up to date.

Laptop burners are generally more finicky than desktop burners. Try some better quality media like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or Made in Japan labeled Sony or Fiji disks. If that doesn't solve the problem, we'll look for another cause.

You might also try outputting an image file from your authoring software and burning that with ImgBurn (free).

http://www.imgburn.com

5. bugmenono

bugmenono Guest

the dvd-r that i used to burn with was SKC and this dvd+r is also SKC. well i'l try using a sony disc or something later on. and how do know by looking at the disc id if its cheap brand?

OPTODISC-OR8-00 what does that id mean?

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Verbatim label = very good (there is 1 exception related to -R type media). All +R is very good.

Taiyo Yuden label = very good all the time unless counterfeit

Made in Japan label = good; if also Sony or Fuji label = very good since will be Taiyo Yuden manufactured.

7. bugmenono

bugmenono Guest

so in backing up dvd movies would you recommend -r or +r

8. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

+R -R it really doesn't matter. I was referring to all the +R Verbatim as being very good in the post above. All of the -R Verbatim is also very good with the exception of one -R type that's a recent release.

+R has the advantage of being capable of being booktyped as DVD-ROM which can enhance its playability in some players. Most DVD players can play all media types without problems so that's why the -R vs. +R really isn't all that important an issue these days.