1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only "Limited user acc on windows XP" ?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sandisk, Jun 4, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hopefully some of you guys might have some suggestions on this.....

my niece said to me today "I'm having a few problems with my pc, I can't access some files and folders". So I had a look. It seems that she only has a Limited user account on her pc. It's her pc and when the pc starts up, it just starts up into the limited account.
    I tried booting up in safe mode, but there is only one accound on that pc and its limited.

Any suggestions on how to get back admin acc?

If worse comes to worse, I can format the pc and re-install windows but would just like to know if there is an easier way to sort this problem before I format.

Thanks
    Sandisk

2. britz660

britz660 Member

Does it goto the welcome screen first or does it boot straight up into Windows.

Either way you can do this from safe mode.... at the welcome screen hit control+alt+delete and then you can type in "administrator" into the log in box.. I am pretty sure the password would be blank unless it was already set..

Once your in there you should be able to change the access privileges to the limited user account. Don't take my word for it though, I hope thats a start

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

Yep when windows loads up, it makes you hit "Ctrl,alt delete" and the log box appears with her name in it.

So instead of just clicking "ok", I should delete her name and type in Administrator, and hopefully that should bring me back into her original admin account.

It's crazy, I remember on windows 2000 having to hold down ctrl,alt,delete to log in but I never heard of it on windows xp pro.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Sandisk

4. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Just an update on this.

It worked great, thanks.

I just typed in Administrator and it logged in.

Thanks again 4 the info :)

Sandisk