1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OnNet Onmail Ondigital Boxes Email through your TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by loaded, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

I pondered for a while as to whether this was worth mentioning and it also took me some time to decide which forum to put it in (I am a moderator, you see, so I am permitted no dorkage!)

Anyway, it might interest some of you to know that the box that was bundled/sold with thousands of OnDigital set top boxes in the UK a few years ago can now be used for accessing email through your TV, regardless of whether you have a card or not. The box, which is made in France and has a big following in Europe, was rebadged for the UK, but is not proprietary. So long as you are one of the lucky ones who didn't set up a PIN when you first got your box, you should be fine (If you set up a pin, the company who bought the ondigital/onmail etc domain names and are operating the email through your TV service can upgrade your box with new software for £15). All you really need to do to get the thing working, is to connect directly to your TV and telephone socket (using standard modem cable) and goto www.onmail.co.uk (after start up, press www key and you will get a URL prompt. Just type in the address and follow the instructions for the new software download. You will usually need to power cycle (turn off and on!) the box after the download is complete, because of error messages, but this will not have affected the installion of the new onmail software. You can then surf the web, create some new email addresses with onmail.co.uk etc.

Because this is a new service and very few email addresses are subscribed, you can get some pretty good email addresses, but that won't last forever!

The box can be bought from onmail for £39 and there are no charges, except a local rate (I think) call every time you dial up. I am not sure how many people will want this, especially those who use these pages, but I thought I would bring it to your attention :)

For more information goto : www.onmail.co.uk

Regards, Paul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.