1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops...I think I goofed - Thermal Grease

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rupert9, Aug 18, 2004.

1. rupert9

rupert9 Member

Okay, I just finished building my first machine and everything seems to be working okay (except the front firewire connections?), although I noticed that my CPU seems to be running a little too hot.

At idle, it seems to stay around 54*C and at times (when I have a lot of applications open) I have noticed it as high as 63*C.

I was browsing some forums and noticed something that concerns me. When I put the thermal grease onto the processor I didn't have any instructions on quantity, so I put what seemed like a logical amount and put a thin layer over the whole processor. Well, I saw a picture of thermal grease being applied and only a drop was put on. Did I screw up?

If I did apply this stuff wrong, what is the best way to remove it and start over? Should I be concerned about this or am I just panicking cause I'm a newbie?

Thanks in advance!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If that's an AMD/Prescott machine then there isnt too much to worry about (especially with a stock/silent fan). If its an Intel or AMD+aftermarket-fan then it's a tad high but certainly nothing to panic over. Now if it's constantly idling at 60+ then you might be concerned (panic should ensue at the 70° mark)

Ideally you just put a tad more than half a grain of rice on... no need to cover the ceramic... just that chippy thing is sufficient :)

If you want to, yeah, pop off the HSF, clean the chip and redo it :)

3. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

4. rupert9

rupert9 Member

Thanks for the quick response. That info definitely makes me feel a little better!

I'm running a AMD 64 3200+ and yes, I'm just using the stock heatsink/fan that came w/ the CPU.

I'm a little worried that I may cause more harm than good by removing everything and trying to clean off that old grease. If it is not a concern that I applied too much grease (again, I put a pretty healthy layer over the whole top of the CPU), then I will probably leave as is.

If this is a mistake, please tell me.

Thanks again!

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

You should be ok as long as their wasn't so much extra applied that it started coming out the sides. The grease is electrically conductive so you wouldn't want it to be on anything except the chip face.

6. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

those temps seem very high to me i run an amd 64 2800 with a 75 mhz over clock and only get 37 deg on a hot summer day.using a thermaltake venus 12 cooler running at about 2500rpm.