1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Eskimo1, May 24, 2006.

1. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

I went to a web site called linuxant.com and used a piece of software their to use my windows driver for my D-Link DWL-G650 Wireless card on my Fedora Core 5 (linux) system. I was wondering if any one knew of an open source version of this program? Or possibably a new way to allow this wireless nic to work on my linux box.

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I am not familiar with fedora 5 but what package system does it use?

3. Eskimo1

Eskimo1 Member

It is a .rpm file
    and i found another version of the driver with .gz

4. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

I'm not to familiar with Linux OS, but from playing around with Fedora Core 5 via VMware, this is what I've determined.

RPM is an automated installer that will install programs or drivers on Red Hat Linux or Fedora OS only, It will not work with any other Linux distro. Think of it as the windows installer for Linux.

GZ is a packaged program without the use of an automated installer and must be installed the manual way through terminal. Think of gz as a zip file but without any compression. This format is universal and can be run on any Linux distro.

I'm not 100 percent on my statement and could be wrong. This is just observation I made.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

We know what RPM and Gz's are i was asking so i can tell him what program in the RPM format that is for his Wireless card

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not to mention that RPM's can be used with any Linux distro.
    It might take a little work, but..

7. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

You can tell I'm no a linux user. :p

Hopefully tocool4u can help you out.

8. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

@BlinkN

You should try out linux :D

They have Live Cd linux that just boots off CD......And if you like it you can Dual boot it with Xp.....I think you would like it.........:D

9. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

I'm assuming you're referring to Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD? Yes I've tried both Live CDs. I've also tried Red Hat Linux and Fedora via VMware. I don't have the patient to learn them since it's all foreign to me. Plus I'm mostly into games, which Linux can't provide unless I can get a program called Wine that can run Windows programs. Not sure how well that program runs. I need to learn the basics first before I can do anything special. Maybe when I have the time and patients, I will give them a shot again.

:)

10. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Oh........Yea but if you dual-boot linux you can switch between linux.........I just learn little by little and take my time.......And it sure does take time to get used too and you have to learn alot

Oh ATM Wine sucks...Most programs don't work with it.....But i have a feeling the developers are working on it to make it better........

If you ever get the patience to do it....I would recommend Ubuntu for beginners.....It is also one of the most Worked on(updates,packages,bugs,etc...)They have alot of really dedicated developers and stafff....But it all depends on your use and taste..

11. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I'm not really happy with any of the distro's so far..Ubuntu pretty good, 2.6 kernel and most things seemed to work pretty well out of the box.. Debian sarge, for some reason with the 2.4 kernel, also not too bad but some bits are archaic, and it's bare until you get some things on ( I spent all day yesterday compiling source of about 500 packages to get gaim working, every time I cured one dependency there was another and another..didn't help that apt-get off the debian disk is fuxxored!!)...now I find the kernel doesn't support burning down the IDE, and I need to change the config over to emulate scsi and then load the modules...no real problem but I just really flamed some n00b out on some debian forums for trying to be a smartass...where is the config file when you install a single os and boot with grub!! Nobody wants to say..it's a sensible question, try finding the answer!.. If I can't sort this issue then I'm gonna try suse, but it comes with a lot of crap bundled with it...Tried Slackware...2.4 kernel again and archaic with lots of find and build, not bad, but I don't have the time really...Redhat/Fedora...no I'm not buying anything...sorry guys...
    Winspire/linspire/lindows..or whatever they call it these days...sorry I'm poor..like the majority of the linux users I'm devoid of cash..

Looks like I'm going to have to get the source of the 2.6 kernel and build the damn thing myself to get what I want..

I'm not a linux n00b..but I never used it on a desktop before, just servers..never had to set up for burning..