1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

openbox s9 upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by phily2002, Aug 9, 2016.

1. phily2002

phily2002 Member

I've had this box for a good while, does the basics fine but recording to usb can be laggy and only now and next on the epg sucks. Just looking for recommendations on a box that supports a internal hdd and 5 day epg. Cheers in advance :)

2. phily2002

phily2002 Member

Anyone??

3. piopat

piopat Active member

whats your budget philly ? . you can get enigma 2 boxes quite cheap these days now . zgemma star s is a genuine box for as little as about 90 euro including p+p if you look say on ebay .

i dont know about it being capable of housing an internal hdd but certainly an external one is no problem .

4. phily2002

phily2002 Member

Cheers man, yeah was hoping to be in the 150 region. I'll check out the zgemma star s.
    Would external recording normally be reliable?, On the openbox it can be a bit hit and miss.

5. piopat

piopat Active member

i have an external hdd and it works a treat . boxes these days come smaller , less room inside .

i have a vu+ solo , great box but no room inside for a hdd . but my external hdd is about the size of a 20 box of ciggies so small enough . it sits on top of my box (can go underneath also just as long as the box is not sat on top it , make sure it has a bit of air ) , its connected to the box via a small usb cable . as i say it works a treat , never had a problem with it .

the plus side is , any sat box can get warm , this is not good , if a box is tight inside and you add a hdd internally there is little room for air to circulate to keep the box cool . and to much heat wont exactly help the hdd either , so in a way an external hdd is a plus . the box is cooler as is the hdd as its external .

as i say zegmma star s single tuner boxes can be had on ebay for under 100 euro which cant be bad . and contrary to the myths by box suppliers or image makers (images are the name for the tv software ) these boxes are genuine not clone .

6. cactikid

cactikid Active member

surprised you have an old solo and a non powered external passport one,personally might suggest a better box like the edison or miracle box.
    what amuses me with zgemma why use patched openvix which directs you to home of genuine images on their splash screen.?

7. piopat

piopat Active member

hi mate been a while , well as they say if it aint broken . box works well as does the hdd , i have no problems with it , top notch box all be it getting on a bit .

i should tho clear up about vix for the people reading this in case they dont understand the vix references . vix have ruled that the box is a clone but its not , but the makers of the box DID make clones such as the cloud . however the zgemma is a genuine box not a clone . but vix have decided its a clone so thats it and they wont hear otherwise it seems , so they wont supply any official vix image hence someone has made a patched vix image for the box .

cactikid mate i have been thinking of treating myself to an upgrade lol , just havent settled on which box , but im a vu man lol and a blackhole man , did try vix but couldnt be doing with it and went back to blackhole using my backup . some quality boxes out there at the minute so might start having a look see . but im also into android boxes so what one doesnt give me i get from the other . talk soon mate and i hope your well

8. cactikid

cactikid Active member

curious as you said working well,i know on latest vix it struggles with spinning symbol,not used at the moment as got solo2 and xtrend 10000 quad tuner and vu zero.

how are you finding the androids hit and miss?
    take care m8

9. piopat

piopat Active member

i enjoy the androids mate , but yes some addons can up and down at times , certainly regular iptv channel addons . but i suppose you have to expect that with free iptv channels . movies and tv show addons far more stable all tho some isps in some countries are blocking some of them . on the whole tho i enjoy android .

i had an old blackhole image that had that spinning symbol , but it was an old image , very annoying lol but a reflash cured it . my mate is big into extrend , he swears by them , and he has had just about every box going back to monterays and d2mac lol so when he says a box is good they usually are . talk soon