1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating System Recovery Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jwv8518, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jwv8518

jwv8518 Member

i see now so that's how that works i'll be shore to try that and i'll let u know if that stop it from freezing if not i'll just disconnect one of them when i need to the a clean install problem solved just really curious to find out the result and learn more because i went to college to learn hot to use and fix computers and half the shit i learn from people like you they didn't even teach in class not to mention there where something i knew that even the teacher them selves knew nothing about good thing i got the financial aid to pay for it lol or that would have been a rip off oh yeah and thanks for checking the software out for me u didn't have to do it right away but i appreciate it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

give me 3 hrs,it'll take an hour to transfer some data i need before i over write the test drive,then i'll do an image recovery test then a full disc clone,the image recovery test is what's more important since it doesn't require a full drive or partitions & it can be put on any hdd you choose & be booted.

In the mean time regardless of whether the slave drive stalls the comp or not,disable hybernation it's in the power selection,then set pagefile to 0.
    right clik my comp
    clik properties
    clik advanced tab
    clik the 1st settings button
    clik advanced tab
    clik change button
    set "no pagefile"
    clik ok
    click apply then ok if there's another window under it after cliking on ok do the same again

ok don't restart at this point,open my comp again & right click on all partitions or drive icons &
    clik properties
    clik tools
    clik check now
    tick only the first box on each drive
    then restart
    once it's restarted after it does it's disk check & your back in windows reboot to safe mode & defrag all partitions on the master drive,while it's defragging use ccleaner to do a registry cleanup,after that's all done you can set the pagefile to whatever size you want,However when creating images do as i've said above but don't reset the pagefile or hyberfile until the image is finished,it saves having an extra 2gb of nothing added to the recovery image

EDIT: UPDATE
    Ok EASEUS has failed to clone so i won't bother with attempting an image,it would pay to continue using the clone software you were using in the meantime i'll try drivexml

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. jwv8518

jwv8518 Member

if i have to go through all of that to use that software your testing right now then no thank you i rather you clonezilla also no of my drives are set to go into hybernation. and the drive doesn't stall it works fine i format it partion it store and read stuff off it its just for some reason when i go into that recovery it freezes there only. other then that i can use my computer a maximum performance and nothing else freezes.

4. jodav

jodav Regular member

Great news jwv8518, I use Ghost, no software is too expensive, if you go to the right places they all cost the same (nothing) - wink wink.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It's just good house keeping & error fixing before starting the job

Ok
    EASEUS Partition manager cloning works but there's a catch & it's the same in partition magic,once job is completed & you make the newly cloned drive master you will get a no disk error the reason is it didn't get assigned the drive letter C,this can be remedied with the right utility disk but is a hassle,however it works ok if you just want to dual boot & leave the disks as they were & just make the necessary boot ini line adjustment,the partitioning side of things works fine too so it's a handy little app if you want to play with creating partitions pity it don't do linux ext2 & partitions

6. jwv8518

jwv8518 Member

yeah pity anyways with clonezilla i don have those problems let alone need any remedies so i will stick with it but thanks anyways but can i ask one more thing lol whats the difference between clone the entire drive and clone just the partion?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Drive xml works awsome however you'll need the recovery cd they have to set the newly clone drive active or you'll get boot disk error,it most probably means that's the reason partition magic gives the boot error i thought it was a drive letter issue but ghost shows the clone as C,i had to use ghost 12 recovery cd to get the drive to boot by setting the drive active after which sweet as.Anyway since zilla works for you it pays to stick with it well for now anyway.

Clone whole drive does the same as clone partition,the diff being clone whole drive does all partitions,where as clone partition only does one & as above you may find when just cloning a partition & it doesn't boot you may need to use a cd to find out if C is there & check that the boot.ini is written then set drive active as sometimes the new clone partition can be hidden

To be honest drive imaging is better because that will boot no matter what circumstance,it's what i do now i don't bother with cloning as there's no need for it,DriveImage xml has that option,tho i'm not sure if you'd strike that no disk error,with acronis or ghost that issue doesn't arise

OK here's some goodies
    Home page of wincustomize.com use this to get fre skins for the apps below,only the 3 below are free everything else is trial & not worth downloading,most skins are free,the skins are in the right hand column look for
    bootskin xp
    logon xp
    cursor fx
    objectdock
    http://www.wincustomize.com/

below are freebies you can use,the first link is cursor fx,if it turns out to be trial uninstall it & google for cursor xp instead
    http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/

logon studio
    http://download.cnet.com/LogonStudio/3000-2344_4-10328443.html?tag=mncol

bootskin xp-if v1.5 doesn't work for you use one of the other two versions below it.
    http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/downloads.asp

There's also another freebie from them called My Colors & it comes with two free themes

EDIT:Aww crap nearly forgot this
    objectdock
    http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

misc icons for use with the comp
    http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=39

8. jwv8518

jwv8518 Member

lol thanks for the extra freebies but i already beat you to it i had those a long time ago lol but you forgot one its called alienguise its a program that lets you set up your desktop with alienware themes u can get it form the official alienware web site. but thanks anyways your the best also i tried driveimagexml and i didn;t like the fact the i had no idea how to use it not to mention i have to enter a certain about of numbers for it to create a single image instead of multiple files even thought that's what i ended up doing but it seem to take to long just making the first file i let it go on for an hour and it still was stuck on file one with no info on estimated time for the process to be done so i didn't like that either at least clonezilla gives you and estimated time and shows elapsed time or how ever way u spell it lol