1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating system?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Liez4Love, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Hello, i right now am using Windows XP, with a pentium 4 processors, which is running at 2.6 ghtz.... and i have RedHat Linux 9.0 which i am thinkg of installling,, however,, i am not sure what will happen when i install it... will i be able to decided what to do everytime i start up my computer?/ will my computer be able to handle it? and do i start up Windows Xp? and install it while running XP? or do i have to do some other Bios thing or something?

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Hey, I've never used it b4 but i do have other Linux based OS systems, Am not a pro with Linux far from it but i do know you need to used different drivers and some software will not work because there made for Windows, Most software/hardware makers are making Linux software/drivers now. As for installing it you could start up XP and stick the cd in (if its on 1) or you could set up the bios to boot from your rom drive, you would need to format the hdd you were going to install it onto. As for your P4 it should work with out any problems, again its just about what drivers you can get for Linux, but you should be ok.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  3. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

ok.. linux will definatly run on your computer... linux is designed to run on the crappyest of computers due to the face most people use linux as a server...when you install linux there is a great chance it will have a 'boot loader' which shows up on your computer every time u boot it up and will ask you what OS you want to load... another thing you need to consider is the linux partitions.. you need a linux partition for the OS then a swap partition of about 100mb.. use partition magic 8 to do these partitions or just use the inbuilt partitioning tool that comes with the linux installer.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

To multi-boot XP and other OS (like Linux) you need a Fat (FAT16) system partition.
    If your whole C:\ drive has been partitioned & formatted without this (2GB max) partition, you will have a problem.
    I always recommend a 2GB Fat partition to EVERYONE running big drives that are NTFS.
    In this way, you can troubleshoot startup problems (ntldr and boot.ini) with a DOS prompt, either using a bootdisk or even better, a DOS OS (on startup menu as 'Win98') on the C:\ partition.
    And of course, you will then also be able to dual-boot 2 or more OSs.
    Regards

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

The_OGS, you certain it is fat16 instead of fat32

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yup.
    2GB (which is maximum for Fat, remember?)
    So in FDisk you say 'no' to Fat32, then select maximum available size for partition; you will get 2GB.
    We used to do this because we were scared of NTFS when mounting these giant 120GB-160GB+ HDs.
    But now it is a lost art - except for dual-booting Linux :^)
    L8R

7. ddp

not a lost art as i still use fdisk & the dos side of win98se

8. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

seem pretty hard, but i will do it,, and all here is a list of all my parts, i will list in a little bit..

9. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

It’s actually pretty easy, once you have done it; it will become easier, just need a bit of practise.
    Ah good old fdisk.

10. ddp

good old fdisk, still use it even for xp