1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by althrun, Feb 28, 2010.

1. althrun

althrun Member

hello! I just download a Windows 7 & XP.
    The Xp is for CD & the Windows 7 is for DVD. now if i'm going Burn it what Write speed should i select for CD & DVD?
    thanks.

2. revengine

revengine Regular member

I burned mine at 48x, and 16x respectively. ward

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I've had the best luck burning DVD's at 1/2 the speed of whatever the media I'm using is rated for. SO 16tx is burned at 8x. 8x is burned at 4x etc. It helps reduce coasters which can happen no matter the disc quality. And honestly the difference between 16x and 8x speed when burning a DVD is just a handful of minutes so why risk a ruining a disc?

4. loood

loood Regular member

I burn my bootable disks on the lowest speed available. Learned my lesson the hard way.

5. revengine

revengine Regular member

I never use cheesey media, and knock on wood haven't had a coaster in a long, long time.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thats just wasteful. If quality media of say 16x speed is purchased changes are you can burn it at 16x speed without issue. There is no need to burn it at 2x, the slowest available.

I stick with what I said, 8x burns with 16x media in my opinion gives the best trade off of speed and accuracy without being overly slow.

7. Win7Guy

Win7Guy Member

Hello althrun,

I would not recommend downloading Windows 7 from any other site than the Official Microsoft Sites.
    Additionally, it's always best to make sure you have a genuine version of Windows 7, this will entitle you to recieve updates and support from Microsoft with Genuine Advantage.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en
    "Microsoft Genuine Advantage programs, including Windows Genuine Advantage, help you determine whether or not your copy of Windows is genuine. Genuine Windows software is published by Microsoft, properly licensed, and supported by Microsoft or an authorized partner, giving you full capabilities, access to all the latest updates, and confidence that you are getting the experience you expect. Microsoft continues to invest in education, engineering, and enforcement in order to more effectively combat software piracy. It’s part of Microsoft’s commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

Please make sure that you have a officially licensed microsoft product which can be ordered directly from Microsoft and Authorized Resellers:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

John M
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

8. JohnRocks

JohnRocks Member

Actually, i am not aware about it, but one of my friend burns at 48x for CD and 16x for DVD.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1817&tag=col1;post-1817

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Very interesting article. I got my license(s) through the University I'm at but that link just got bookmarked should anyone I know ask/talk about such programs.

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

My prof said I needed visio to complete a project so signed me up for the MSDNAA Software Center. that opened the door for free downloads of 32 (wifes laptop) and 64bit(sons machine) win7 pro. I found I was eligible about 2 weeks after purchasing win7ultimate...

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Ouch that hurts. Same here got everything I needed through the MSDNAA. Win 7 Por x64 on my PC, x32 on my brothers. Downloaded Windows Server 2008 just for the sake of throwing it on a old PC and testing it. And had their been 1 more Windows 7 license I would've switch my laptop from Ubuntu to Win 7 but it wasn't so.

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Not so bad really as I use the Ultimate on my home media server w/FTP shared folder for the members of my band. If I were looking into hosting our website though I'd probably switch it over to a "proper" server OS.
    In fact, I wanted to D/L server2008 (and visual studio) myself but got sidetracked after already D/Ling 3 products and finishing the infrastructure project i needed visio for. Thanks for the reminder.