1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on GA-EP35C-DS3R

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by d3lt4, Feb 27, 2008.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I kinda stopped replying to posts lol.

If I had the money I would get a X38 motherboard. The thing is yes they are more expensive, but they also have lots of features.

Anyway to be honest I wouldn't get either. Socket 775 is almost outdated, and this isn't the best time to be building computers, or upgrading them...

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

what do you mean outdated? I thought intel only use 775 for C2D and C2Q? is there a new socket?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Soon...

Next year it's gone.

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

LOL next year! it's just beginning of 2008, and i can't wait until 2009. so get a good good rig now so next year you don't need to worry too much

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Next year you're gonna fall MAJORLY behind. Imagine, the newest CPUs wont even work in your expensive motherboard. That thought just makes me cringe.

That's why I am selling my motherboard, CPU, Memory and video card. Gonna put my Celeron D back in here and next year it's a Nehalem Quad Core, DDR3 and the newest video card!

6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah you have a point there, but don't you game? Plus what about the power supply and the case? you can keep it?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with GTR about the sockets, there's no point waiting for a whole year for a new socket. Even when the new one pops along CPUs will still be made for the old socket for a fair while. If you get good enough tech now, by the time it needs upgrading, 775's successor will be mature and ready. If you buy as soon as it comes out, you'll suffer all the weaknesses of infant technology. I don't buy major breakthrough technology as soon as it comes out often, mainly due to price, but also because when I do, I get plagued with bugs. When I get new stuff I like it to work out of the box, not when updates are released!
    The points you make Abuzar seem mad. putting up with a CPU that poor for a whole year makes a mockery of getting a decent system the following year. Long term loss for long term gain?

What I'd say to you GTR, get a Q9450, and one of the better P35 boards, then sit it out. Don't wait for 2009's socket design.
    (Ironically I personally think this is one of the best times to build a PC, the high end stuff is cheap!)

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah i might as well, buy GA-P35-DS3R and wait for Q9450 to come out, with atleast 4Gb of RAM and a decent GPU, then it should last me a year or two, with a decent case, monitor and power supply.

Corsiar TX750w enough?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Plenty enough, a quad core and dual graphics is no sweat for that unit.

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yes i know this thread is like "Dead" but since this thread is related to Gigabyte mobo, i'll ask it here.

Is GA-P45-DS3R a good mobo?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GA-P45-DS3R doesn't exist. I think you are asking about GA-P35-DS3R which is a EXCELLENT board. It's the same thing as a GA-EP35-DS3R, only difference is that the E version has some energy saving stuff and is cheaper.

Also don't worry about the dead threads, I was just grumpy that day.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P35-DS3Ris a nice board, but it's looking like it's now discontinued in favour of the EP and the P35C.

13. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Well yeah it's not out, but it's on show at CeBIT, looks promising...