1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo 981 Question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by DaveHavok, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DaveHavok

DaveHavok Member

I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys to replace my Samsung HD755 which has pretty decent picture IMHO, but I notice that it doesn't play all my backups ... how is the dvd-r dvd+r playback on the Oppo 981 unit? My Samurai Champloo doesn't wanna playbe back on the Samsung no matter how I go about backing it up. Hell I might just go this way just for the 1080P upscale!

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I've not seen one personally, but I've read a lot of posts, at HT forums, that say they'll play almost anything you put in it. The picture quality is excellent (they also say).

You do realize that the only way to hookup to tv is either HDMI or the yellow composite rca cable? There are no component outputs on it.

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

4. DaveHavok

DaveHavok Member

yeah...I'm pretty up on the media...I just wish I could find a more affordable white printable DL DVD-R or DL DVD+R that doesn't cost a small fortune per disc. Ritek and Verbatiums are the only white printable DL's I've seen. I'd be forever grateful if anyone could recommend other easily orderable brands

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

6. DaveHavok

DaveHavok Member

yeah I shop at superstore...all they have for DL printable DVD-R's is Ritek and Verbatium.

I'm looking for other brands that are more affordable but better than Ridtek

7. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

only thing better than the Ritek are the Verbatim . i wouldn't recommed anything else

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I have the older V971H upconverting. It plays whatever I put in it and the upconverted pic is awesome!

9. Isis1

Isis1 Member

I have the 981 and it has played anything I put in it. It's connected via HDMI to a Panasonic receiver and then HDMI to an LG 50" plasma.

I read in another thread a comment about the lit up remote. It actually glows after being charged under a bright light. Another feature I've never seen before is the on-screen keyboard you can turn on and off.