1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oppo OPDV971H

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by btufail, Oct 24, 2006.

1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

you have to have a HDMI output/input for a upcovert dvd player to work

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Call Oppo and ask about them upconverting over component cables. I think I remember that a member at S&V Forums called and asked (because they heard it did), and Oppo said it did. I don't remember the details though. So, if you'll call and ask, you'll hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Don't know if this is just the newer ones, or if they all do. If I can find the thread about it, at S&V, I'll post a link......

The black model is out now. Here's the pic and info on it: http://oppodigital.com/dv981hd/index.html

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

4. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I was told that it ONLY up-converts via DVI or HDMI.

WOW
    The 981H says it converts to 1080P............!!??

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Who told you this? Not Oppo........
    You were probably told this because that's the case, with most players, until now. The new 981 doesn't, because it doesn't even have component outputs. But if you read the links I posted, you'll see that the other Oppo players do. :eek:)

6. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

JVC

Have you hooked it up both ways ? Component & HDMI.

Did you see a difference in pic. quality ?

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

damnit i missed getting the new model Oppo 981 about 3 weeks wonder if i can do an exchange

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

The only thing I don't like about my Oppo is the remote ... kind of all crammed together and hard to see.

@JVC....what is it with me and remotes? Denon 3805...great AVR, crappy remote / Oppo uoconversion....great machine, crappy remote LOL!

BTW: solved my analog hole problem with a little creative thinking through the HD box and a Radio Shack "Distribution Amplifier" that will amplify one vid sig with four analog holes. Haven't tried it yet though; all still in my head. Will probably blow the roof off the house the moment I switch it on LOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i just called Oppo the new 981 and the 971 WILL NOT upconvert with component cables although the 970 model WILL

10. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't have one. I was going by what I had read about them.

11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

@JVC that's what I meant. Just what aabbccdd posted.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i am going to get the new 981 soon

i just got the 971 3 weeks ago and was told i can exchange it but i think i will keep it and put it in my bedroom and run the new 981 with my Sony SXRD 60" and my Yamaha RX-V2700

13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Let me know how it is after you get it. I'm thinking about getting it also.

Would have to sell my 971H first though.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

dabig25, i doubt if there will be much difference other than i will not need a digital optical cable for the audio being it has a HDMI output and it will be black which will match my new Yamaha AV receiver. i don't think the 1080i (971) vs the 1080p (981) will matter since our Sony's SXRD are already 1080p sets.

oh BTW i called Best Buy and since this set has come down 700.00 dollar since i bought it in mid Sept. there going to give me a store credit. i am so happy !!! lol

15. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Well maybe I stick w/ my 971H then ?

Good to hear about the BB store credit. Mine is now about $2400 will go in w/ my receipt and see what happens. I might be at or just past the 30 day mark ?

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

they have a new 60 day price match on all HD sets.

mine was past even the 60 day mark(mid sept.) BUT i did get a store credit for 400.00 so i bought a new RW-12 Klipsch Sub-Woofer niceeeee!!!!!

17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Circuit City has the 60 day price match ????????.........Cool.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Best Buy told me they now have a 60 day price match on all HD sets , i would check with CC but i am pretty sure they followed suit

19. pennst32

pennst32 Member

i am gong to pick up an oppo upconvert DVD player, but was wondering what the major differences are between the dv-970hd and the 971?? is the 971 worth the extra $50??

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

YES it has the DCDi by Faroudja making it worth the extra 50 dollars .They now have a OPPO DV-981HD its black with a HDMI output and 1080p res.

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/index.html

if your going to buy one get it from Amazon.com being you will get free shipping