1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Coblck

Coblck Guest

Do you think the new firmware 2.23 for drive 203 will work on my 201 drive, has anybody tried it yet

2. pkkd

pkkd Member

Make sure that you close all applications before applying the Windows f/w update. If there is a lock on the drive, the f/w update will stall. Nero is such an example.

There are separate downloads for the 0203 and 0203... just download and install the right one... I have installed it, still doesn't recognize SONY media. Oh well. Hopefully this fixes my dvd-r reading problems in my other PCs.

3. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Ummm, no the new firmware for the DD0203 drive will not work on the DD0201. But maybe the new firmware for the DD0201 drive will work on the DD0201 drive.

http://www.optorite.com/firmware.htm

4. Coblck

Coblck Guest

Just upgraded to firmware 2.23 i can now play my burnt discs recorded on my optorite on my pionner 119 dvd rom drive yeah, about time only thing is it will only read about half of my cd-roms now, small price to pay will try and install firmware again but at least i can play on other dvd rom's

5. Telstar

Telstar Member

Has anyone tried to use the same DD0203 to read the burned DVD-R discs after updating to v2.23 firmware? Mine couldn't read the same disc just burned and therefore cannot do the data verification under Nero. LOL, should have known this v2.23 update is too good to be true given Optorite/Sanyo's pathetic firmware update history.

6. Fltline

Fltline Member

The Princo's that I burned before flashing with 2.23 work just fine. What brand of DVD were you using?

7. dcinege

dcinege Member

I upgraded to 2.23, and using Linux growisofs in single session mode, results a disc that still doesn't work. : ) The difference is that now my laptop's 8121 drive stops spinning after a little while instead of endlessly spinning. But I can't play the disc. It plays fine from the optorite. It's still also burning the 4x Princo at 2X, even though it reports 4X.

8. Fltline

Fltline Member

I'm using XP Pro, the Princo 4x burned at 4x starting with version 2.16 and using Nero 5.5.48, but when using Nero 6 it dropped back to 2x. Put 5 back in and it's bzck to 4x. Go figure..

9. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well I think someone must start a new post! You need days to read this one!

10. telor

telor Member

Telstar, I have the exact same problem. Does anyone has a previous firmware? I think 2.16 is the best so far? Can someone email it to justbecause@imtoosexy.com?

11. Coblck

Coblck Guest

12. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

Hey,

well I am back after a short absence to tell of my experience with the optorite.

this is only a 2 disc test, one a DVD, and one a VCD.

This was also the first use of the drive.

I have it set in a firewire external enclosure. I used sonic myDVD 4.0 to burn the dvd. And the B's recorder gold to record the vcd.

both recorded flawlessly and both play perfect on my home elcheapo DVD player which is the Apex 1110W.

The DVD media used is BeAll DVD-R 1x blanks. I heard they were good on this forum so thats what I tried and as of this writing, i am pretty pleased with them. The CD-R for VCD is memorex elcheapos.

Have not tested them on my pc but am expecting them to play fine.

I am not sure because I dont have that much experience, so someone correct me if I am wrong but I suspect that a lot of problems with this unit might be eliminated if the drive were used in the firewire enclosure rather than being installed in the pc itself, just my guess.

thanks!

13. dcinege

dcinege Member

Vinwiesel,

I use via fireware, and that does not affect the way the firmware acts. The drive still has serious issues with writing single session (DAO) mode. When writing multisession, eveything seems to work dandy. (Though I've yet to test with the 2.23 firmware, hopefully that's not now broken.)

Single session is *supposed* to be the most compatible way to write a DVD. However since the Optorite does it wrong, if you keep trying to use that mode of writing you'll be very unhappy with your Optorite drive. If you always use Multi-Session, you'll wonder what people are complaining about.

14. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

dcinege

I used "disc at once" burning this DVD no problem. not saying something wont show up later, hoping not. Anyway, if it does start giving me problems, I will buy the pioneer A06 as a replacemnet. If that don't work I will buy something else. So far so good.

15. dcinege

dcinege Member

My guts tells me that the apps that give you a widly compatible disc using 'DAO' are not really writing single session and are working around the Optorite bugs. I'm running linux software that I have the source code to, so I can tell what really going on. Any type of DAO or single session disc I've made I've been unable to use in my laptop or Apex 1100 player, but they do work in the playstation2.

16. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Yes, I agree it's getting tough to follow the 100's of messages in this thread. We should start a new thread for each of the firmware releases that comes out and discuss the problems encountered with it.

17. chartchec

chartchec Member

I'm having the same problem as Letscopy (Oct 18):

"hey guys, mind helpin me out w/ this problem.
    systems :

win2kpro
    80gig hd
    athlon 2100
    hp cd-rw plus
    optorite DD0203
    firmware 2.16

well, i have a problem using hd-burn on b's recorder. I went to your website to update the B's recorder and all of that. Everytime i try to record, it gives me this message

An ATAPI error occurred.
    Disc error.
    < Error No : 51037303 >

im using fuji film cd-r 700mb 80 min. IM not sure what the problem there is, can you help me."

Letscopy, did you ever resolve this issue?
    Or does anyone have an idea on what the problem might be? This is my first use of the drive using 2 different CD-Rs and a DVD+R - all produced the same error message. Could this be a hardware issue?

Thanks.

18. telor

telor Member

Coblck, the link you gave me did not work. 2.16 is just a link back to Optorite website and it's no longer available there. Could somebody please please email me 2.16? :( :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  19. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

ok, how do I find out what firmware version I am running. I have not updated it myself and will not as long as I have no problems, but it would be nice to know what version I hav.

20. BradLad

BradLad Guest

[bold]telor[/bold] I sent you the 2.16 firmare (16/11/03. Just sent you it again.
    Is your Email correct? <email address removed by admin -- read the rules, use PM instead>

The problem I have with the new firmware is when writing at 4X speed I cannot read the dvd in the optorite. OK at 2X speed. Most likley cheap media. Going to change back to 2.16

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2003