1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. racie

racie Member

Optorite have updated their web site with a new recommended disk list.

2. telor

telor Member

BradLad,
    I haven't received your email yet, but that's the correct email. Can you send it to me again to my other email: ndookie2000@yahoo.com? Maybe zip it so the antivirus won't block it (some of them block executables). Many many many thanks. I owe you one.

3. ClownKill

ClownKill Member

I have the Optorite DD0201 .. latest firmware running on XP.

I can't seem to get a CD burn speed over 16x .. even though all speed tests give me a 24x write speed result.

Operating System Windows XP
    Drive OPTORITEDVD RW DD0201
    Firmware Version 2.23
    Serial Number
    Disc Data CD
    Capacity 79:59.74

Write Transfer Rate

Write Mode DAO
    Start 16.00x
    End 23.97x
    Average 22.67x
    Type Z-CLV

Optorite says it may be a problem with their firmware and hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. Strange thing is a friend has the same drive and burns at 24x.

I've tried Sony 48x media as well as KHypermedia 48x discs .. same deal. Burned with Nero Ultra 6 and Alcohol 120% .. all start and finish CD burns at 16x. Nero doesn't give you the actual burn speed all the way through and it tells you it's burning at 24x, but 5 minutes later my disc is through. Alcohol 120% is a constant 16x
    I believe all CD burns start at 16x, then gain speed toward the end of the disc, reaching the 24x speed.

Anyone else having this problem?

4. Coblck

Coblck Guest

at last get firmware 2.25 for 203 drive everything works now about time to get it at
    www.optorite.com

5. casho

casho Guest

Hi. Anybody who is having the BLUE SCREEN when inserting a CD/DVD randomly should update to firmware 2.30 at Optorites Web Site!!
    I was having this problem for the last week after just getting my drive and updating from FW 1.0 to 2.3. Tried everthing to fix the prob.So just do the FW update and wave goodbye to those annoying BSODs!

6. casho

casho Guest

BTW..anyone know of a good DVD-R to use with the DD0201 drive? I bought BenQ discs and they are not recognised!! As for HD-Burn..no probs whatsoever. Have burned loads of CDRs up to 1.4GB [700mb] and not a prob. Just wish I could get the DVD-R working now. Ho Hum

7. IT_cnslt

IT_cnslt Guest

More on Optorite -

Just thought I'd offer an opinion. Have been unhappy with the DD0203, posted elsewhere about my experiences. Funny thing is I decided to pick up a HiVal (they usually repackage and sell other mfg drives)... I picked it up for $89... at the CUSA got it home and it is a DD0201 (ironic...)

Here is a rundown of the burners I now own and pros/cons... This is meant as a buying guide for anyone looking to pick one up or hopefully it will help anyone having problems with their Optorites...

1) SONY DRU500A
    I have heard some complaints about this drive, but I would remind people to pay attention to their volume of sales... it is well know that there is a failure rate in manufacturing, I would think this may be attributed to this drive. My personal experience. Using DVD Decrypter, Instant Copy, Sonic, Ulead and Pinnacle VideoStudio... every disc has worked (all but one became coasters)... whether I have used CUSA branded Princos, Memorex, Maxell or Fuji.. no problems whatsover. Backing up DVD movies, creating videos, data discs... etc... everything works with NO tweaking or special steps. I have tried it internally and in a usb 2 enclosure on 3 different pc's (intel, via and sis chipset based)... using Nero 6 for data, InstantCopy for backup and the above mentioned video software for DVD/VCD creation. Every DVD backup plays on at least 3 of the 4 players in the house and on my dvd/cdrw drives. I cannot say anything against this drive at the moment. I would recommend it or try another model from Sony.

2)Optorite DD0203 -
    Checking message boards, I have seen a number of posts stating they've never had a problem. However, there are loads of complaints - and problems posted.

PROS: Cheap! HD-Burn feature (1.4GB on a CD). Multi Format. I have had great success with burning data backups to ALL CD and DVD media. I have had limited success with the HD Burn feature (after much trial and error, it appears that in my drive (firmware 2.30 now, i've also tried the others), Imation 24x (50 Pk Spindle) and Memorex 12-x NeroInfo: CMC Magnetics/ Dye Type 6 - Short... has become reliable for HD.. (however other media matching the same specs have failed and the Fujifilm brand they recommend also failed)
    Here are the steps I've had to use:

1) Nero 6: Choose new data DVD, choose no multisession... and then build the compilation and start the burn. Any other method I've attempted has been unsuccessful.

DVD-Video backups-

Using DVD decrypter (File mode) and Instant Copy 8. Multiple failed attempts... or burns that would not play in any other drive except the DVD Burners I own. I have one successful disc out of 10. I removed all foreign audio and subtitles... seems to have allowed the disc to be finalized (however, I do not need to do this on the SONY). I am going to run some tests w/ DVD-+RW media and see if this continues to hold true. I will let everyone know what happens.

CONS: Appears finicky about media... and if a higher priced burner can use cheapass 70 cent media... the savings will add up quickly. I have had my first successful DVD backup (one that will play on most/all of my players) on cheap media by removing foreign audio/subs... I will see if this holds true and test other DVD's. If this is the case, then the drive may end up working out after all.

The HD-Burn feature is terrible... compatibility is a major issue. Power Calibration errors occur on Optorites own recommended media for this drive. I have had success w/ Imation 24x and Memorex 12x and that is it.

DVD Video and VCD - have not fully tested yet. A small VCD I burned to CD and a DVD to DVD+RW media have worked in standalones, so it appears ok.

3) Hival (Optorite DD0201 repackaged)...

See DD0203 comments... These drives appear to be one and the same with issues. Am going to attempt to strip foreign audio and subtitles and see if DVD backup functions. HD-Burn : same media and same problems. Have not tested DVD Video or VCD creation yet.

Drive came with firmware 2.17 (Hival doesn't even mention this drive on their site, yet it is on retail shelves... would like to use Optorite firmware but am going to wait until I get an official response from Hival).

Interestingly enough.. I don't think Hival feels the HD-Burn feature is fully functional for they do not mention it at all on the retail package or with any of the included documentation. The drive will however burn HD.

In short:

Recommend: SONY, and based on my reading and experience with their CD burners would have to think that the Plextor and TDK solutions would also work well. I have no experience with Pioneer so cannot really say (however, excuse me for this, they were the pioneer of dvd burning solutions). Believe these are all worth the extra money for compatibility and ease of use out of the box.

2)At your own risk: The Optorite DD0203/DD0201... if you can't use 'cheap' media, savings are negated. IF there is too much troubleshooting and tweaking to do for successful DVD Backups and video, savings are also negated. The Hd-burn feature is nice but completely unreliable and again loads of experimentation (nice thing is that the pc error in Nero does not render the disk useless).
    Good for data backups... no problems so if that is your main need. Definitely can say it works. May want to try it for the price to see if it 'works' out of the box as others have posted with no problems...

8. Fltline

Fltline Member

I haven't had many problem with the DD2030 at all. I did make a few costers with DVDShrink and Nero 6, but when I dropped back to 5.5 all was fine. As for cheepo DVD's, Princo works well, but the Ritech is a much better made disk. All the Princo's that I got had a small crack in the hub rings. I haven't burned with the 2.30 firmware yet, but going to give it a try soon. As for the HDBurn, about a 50% success rate using different media, anyway it's not really a standard format so only good for archive for a machine that has a Optorite in it anyway. Fun to mess around with but not really a main feature.

9. kneo

kneo Member

So that, what about the 2.30 firmware (released on 26.11.2003)?

Any comment is accepted. I don't know if upgrade or not (I have the 2.16)

Thanks for help

10. Coblck

Coblck Guest

I Have found 2.25 to be the best i have tried them all.

11. kneo

kneo Member

Can you send it to me? Because on the site is available only the latest version.

I wrote to you my mail address._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Kneo[/small]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  12. LearnDVD

LearnDVD Member

The following is a response I received from Optorite Support after asking for help about HD Burn problems and "Power Calibration Error. Burn process failed" messages.

----------------------------------------------
    The problem you described appears to be related to the brand/type of media you are using. The HD-BURN feature in particular requires high-quality media to work properly. A list of CD-R media that supports HD-BURN is located at http://www.optorite.com/dd0203.htm. We recommend Fujifilm 48x or 52x CD-R media (manufactured by Taiyo Yuden in Japan) for best results.

Here are some useful information to find and buy HD-BURN supported media.

FUJIFILM 50pack, UPC Barcode Info: 74101 75475, FUJIFILM CDR 80 MIN 50PK

FUJIFILM 50pack, UPC Barcode Info: 74101 74055, FM CDR 80 MIN 50PK COLOR

FUJIFILM 30pack, UPC Barcode Info: 74101 75430

Those two 50-pack spindle contains the Taiyo Yuden media which can be used with HD-BURN. Any other FUJIFILM 50 or 100 pack is probably made by some other manufacturers and won't work with HD-BURN.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should update your drive to the latest firmware version. These updates can be found at http://www.optorite.com/firmware.htm.

Thank you,
    OptoRite Support
    -----------------------------------------------

I must say that the Optorite Support people are very prompt in replying to e-mails unlike other hardware manufacturers I have dealt with, plus they do seem to be making an effort to get the firmware right.

Apart from HD Burn I have had no other problems with my DD0203 and no coasters. I have used Nero 5.5.10.54, Roxios Direct CD, DVD Decrypter, DVD Maestro and DVD Shrink all using Bulkpaq Generation 4 Media.

A search of the forums will reveal that users do have problems with all makes of drives including Sony but some drives do appear to give users more headaches than others.

13. IT_cnslt

IT_cnslt Guest

Update:

Still haven't had much success with the Optorites (DD0203 and DD0201) using bulk Princo recording DVD. Have had good results w/ Memorex and Maxell + discs. Higher quality -R discs seem to perform better also.
    My original post was meant to inform others of problems I have seen and let them know that if they couldn't get reliable burns out of inexpensive media the savings upfront is negligible.

I am using the media recommended from Optorite Fuji (50pk 48x) with UPC Barcode 74101 75475 and still receive the power calibration errors in HD-Burn. Also receive the ATAPI error in BClip trying HD-Burn. Not a big loss, but it would be nice if it worked as they claim it should. Especially considering I am using the media they say it is compatible with.

As far as DVD backup:
    The only thing I have noticed with most of the users claiming success have been a common thread of DVD Shrink and Nero. I have noticed a few claiming success w/ Instant Copy but not as many. I will give these 2 a try and see what happens on the cheaper media. Right now, am using Instant Copy 8 and DVD Decrypter.

On another note:
    Picked up a Pacific Digital today to try out (it is based on an NEC 1300A) --- worked right out of the box with no issues. Does anyone know the differences between the NEC, Sony and Optorite (SANYO) drives if any? Curious as to why these 2 Optos are giving me so much trouble.

I would like to get my Optos fully functional so am trying to figure out what the main issue is w/ these. I will try switching software and see what happens... and burn w/ DVD Shrink and Nero....

14. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

IT_cnslt
    I have the same unit under the IO Magic label. I have upgraded the firmware to 2.30. For +R media it works awesome. I have backed up 10 to 15 movies in the last month using the Memorex 4X +R media (RICOHJPNR01) On complicated burns I test with the Memorex +RW (RICOHJPNW01). I was successful last night in making my first HD Video burn with a TDK CD-R that is HD-Burn certified (Ritek Co). I use a program called DvdInfoPro to identify my media manufacturer.
    I have burnt DVD's with DVD Decrypter, Nero, Intervideo DVD Copy, DVD X Copy.
    With all this success I have yet to successfully burn a -R disc. I've got lots of -R coastersI paid $2.00 Canadian each for the Memorex +R discs at Future Shop last week - picked up 50. The cost of quality - R discs is not much less so why fight success.

15. dcinege

dcinege Member

Subject: Dense People

We are now on month 5 and page 11 of this thread.

Other people (including myself) have already posted quite extensive info.

However few if any of the last few pages of posters has bothered to actually read this entire thread, because if they have they would have seen:
    A) Their question was already answered
    B) They are posting redundant information

Worse still, is when someone posts their progress, and doesn't include one important detail. "I burnt a coster.." Well whoppeedoo. What firmware rev? What is the manufature of the disc? In single session or multi session? If you read the thread you'd know single session is the the qwerkiest on the optorite as of 2.16 firmware. (I've not tested 2.30 yet) You'd also know that the brand names of media is meanless and the actual manufacture can only be determined through dvdinfo or similar program.

Why do I care? I get an email alerting me of every post to the thread. I hope it's something that will help me, or something undiscussed that I happen to know so I can help someone else. But for the last few weeks, it's been a waste of time to read.

16. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

OUCH! sorry...

17. Fltline

Fltline Member

OK, I'm starting a new thread, Optorite DVD 2.30 and later. This needed to de done a long time ago. :)

18. dcinege

dcinege Member

A good idea...here's another one: if you have the time/desire yank some of the posts from this thread, and start the new thread with a summary of these posts. Hmmm...what we really need from these posts is a mini-faq. Any volunteers? (I'm much too busy right now...)

19. geocean

geocean Member

Sorry to post to this thread, but I thought it would receive the widest exposure as I need some serious help with a strange problem.

My Optorite (FW 2.16) burns fine using Nero 6 with any of the media I throw at it, all with 4x plus (Memorex) & minus (Ritek, Princo) as well as 2.4x +RW (HP) & 2x -RW (Memorex).

I just got some Verbatim 4x +R. All the discs appeared to burn well at 4x, but when I proceeded to watch the movies, they invariably had reading problems along the first 3-7 minute marks of the video. They usually last for 1-2 minutes with very very choppy, pixelated, and many times pausing videos. But if I skipped that portion, the rest of the movie would be all fine.

Has anyone heard of this problem before?

I have a Intel P4 2.53GHz with 768MB DDR RAM running WinXP Pro/sp1.