1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Nights

Nights Member

Ok heres a question r u guys burning at 2x because your optorite drives are on the same ide cable as your hard drives i had a problem with this setup so swapped with my cd writer i have burned at 4x with nero on arita dvd+r media which is a ritek brand with no issues since. Nero seems to have a problem with data flow on same ide give it a try and let me know if it works ok.

P.S. this could be total crap and im just being lucky so let me know either way.

Night

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  2. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

I burned at 4x with the DVD+R that came with the drive and Nero6. I believe it was called "That's DVD" or something.

I also just picked up a "Sampler" of 4x DVD-R media from rima.com to see which will burn at 4x with my drive and will also work in my stand-alone DVD players. I'll report back after I receive them and try them out.

3. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

I've also ordered a sample from supermediastore.com of DVD-R media that came recently.

All my tests use Nero 6.0, but I believe the firmware is what tells the program the speed at which the drive can burn on the media, so the program is irrelevant.

The only 4x media that works is Ritek 4x DVD-R, the supermediastore.com item number is DVD01x0058. $1.39 + shipping if you buy a 100, so they are very pricy, and we should definitely keep looking I think. All the quality of the discs look similar, except for all the others burn at 2x with our drive.

One's that work at 2x:
    DVDPro 1x-4x DVD01x0070
    Optodisc 4x Silver Thermal Printable DVD01x0090
    MediaPro 1x-4x DVD01x0091
    Piodata 1x-4x DVD01x0089

4. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

So all of those you listed:
    One's that work at 2x:
    DVDPro 1x-4x DVD01x0070
    Optodisc 4x Silver Thermal Printable DVD01x0090
    MediaPro 1x-4x DVD01x0091
    Piodata 1x-4x DVD01x0089

You tested all of those and they worked at 2x for the Optorite 100%? No coasters?

I know FujiFilm will work at 2X and that is what I have used but if those are cheaper I might give those a try. Because at Best Buy I paid 24.99 for 10 of them. That's $2.50 a DVD which is too high in my opinion but I saw on Optorite's site that they worked so I figured I better use what works..

Thanks for the info elmoksu!

5. lmadern

lmadern Member

P1tom,

Read my post a couple posts above where I wrote which is the best cheap media that writes at 2x speed in our drive that I have found.

I've used Optodisc inkjet printable which gave me about a 10-15% coaster rate.

I've also used Princo disks which also gave me about a 10% coaster rate.

The cheapest good media I've used is .94 cents a piece if you buy 50 from supermediastore.com and the brand is cd-technology.

The best media I've used is either Ritek G04's or Beall neither media gave me any coasters when I used them but the G04's are more expensive.

6. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Imadern,

What kind of coaster rate did you get with cd-technology?

What did you pay for Beall? Did you try to burn one at 4X with it?

It sounds like Ritek is the best all around sure thing with this drive. With you non coaster rate and elmoksu able to burn it at 4X.

thanks for the info!

7. lmadern

lmadern Member

The only 4x media I bought was the Ritek. All the other media was rated at 1x but I could burn at 2x. It's not worth it to me to pay for the 4x media right now. It's just too expensive.

The cd-technology media gave me about a 3-5% coaster rate.

The Beall I bought from Rima.com. I don't remember what I paid for them offhand.

8. cheib

cheib Member

Hey Guys here is what I have used and I still cannot find anything that works at 4x either:

1.Fuji DVD-R 2X only
    2.4X Princo's DVD-R 2X only
    3.1X Princo's DVD-R 2X only
    4.Vivastar DVD-R 2X only

The only DVD-R's that I have used that were rated for 4X were the princo's and I could only get 2X out of them so I end up just buying the 1X Princo's since you can burn them at 2X also. I have heard that Verbatim DVD-R work at 4X but I have yet to see it myself, I will try them when I run out of the princo's that I have and report back.

9. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

Hey guys,

Haven't burned to the other 4x discs yet, but I know they will only do 2x. I just popped each in the drive and let Nero tell me the burn speed after clicking the burn icon. I'm sure they will work without making a coster, but will report back when I have burned to each.

I agree Ritech seems good, but was wondering if anyone has tried out the new Verbatim 4x DVD+R datalifePlue discs? Here is the best deal I've seen: $18.99/15!!!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0159887

Hopefully someone lives close to a microcenter to try them out :eek:)

10. LikABnshE

LikABnshE Member

So far on my OptoRite:
    Successfully used HP DVD+RW (c8008a) at 2.4X with Nero6, DVDXCopy, and DVDXCopy Express.

Perhaps we should all start emailing OptoRite with requests to update the firmware and the list of supported speeds for different media, or bite the bullet and just pay the $2 for compatible media until the prices fall further.

Haven't tried HD-Burn yet - really no point, because of inability to read in other drives. Plus, why store 1.4GB when you can store 4.7GB

11. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Haven't tried HD-Burn yet - really no point, because of inability to read in other drives. Plus, why store 1.4GB when you can store 4.7GB

Because CDR are a lot cheaper than DVD-R and I would rather use DVD-R for Movies and not Data.

Anyway I tested FujiFilm at 4X burn and it worked like a champ! I let Nero determine the speed and it went with 4X. I am using Firmware 2.11.

Just letting everyone know...

12. starcaptr

starcaptr Member

Heys, my first post ever =)

I just got the optorite burner about 2 weeks ago, got two kinds of media to use for now. The Verbatim DVD+R from microcenter, (I got two spindles of 15), burns perfectly at 4x on my burner. I also got the apparently unfavorable K hypermedia DVD-R which was $5 for 5 a few weeks ago, they burn at 2x perfectly. I havent gotten any coasters so far (am I supposed to? I thought you have buffer underrun tech for DVDs also). I just bought a 50 pack of Fujifilm DVD-R from BestBuy, which the site says are rated at 1x. Before I open up the pack and risk restocking fee, anyone here have experience with these fuji DVDs? Thanks!

13. lmadern

lmadern Member

The Fuji's burned at 2x for me so if that is ok for you then by all means keep them. As far as the K-Hypermedia media goes I bought a 5 pack and had no problems with them but when I bought a 25 pack almost half of them became coasters or there was so much artifacting on the playback that the movies were unwatchable. I'd really, really recommend staying away from the K-Hypermedia. If you want a really good cheap -R media go to supermediastore.com and get their CD-technology brand. You can get 50 -R's that burn at 2x on my drive, with 50 dvd cases, and free ground shipping for $63.50. That works out to .94 cents a piece for the media, and .33 cents a piece for the cases. Pretty good deal. Between my brother and myself we've burned over 250 of them with only 8 - 10 coasters and a few of them may have been our fault. They also work in every standalone dvd player we've tried them in.(10 - 15 different players)

Good luck with the optorite, I'm really happy with mine.

14. starcaptr

starcaptr Member

Haha, just found out thru DVD Decryptor that the Fujifilm DVD-Rs they are putting out at BestBuy are actually Ritek G03s...not bad media for 2x, but pricey when u can get G03 for as low as $1.13 a piece. The Verbatim 4x DVD+RW dont ID as anything under DVD Decryptor.

As for HD Burn, I notice I get "Power Calibration Error" in Nero whenever I use incompatible cheap media with it (all types of CompUSA, Samsung, PNY, Optimum, K Hypermedia so far). It does work with my Sony and Fujifilm media (The Sony I believe is its own brand, the Fujifilm is Taiyo Yuden). Doesnt read in anything else besides itself though...

Looking forward to the 25 for $30 AR sale on Fuji 2.4x DVD+R tomorrow at BestBuy =). In the meantime, im gonna give those CD Technology branded ones a try. Get a cheap $40-ish Taiwanese branded DVD Video player if you want any media under the sky to be playable on your TV!

15. lmadern

lmadern Member

I just bought a GO-Video combination DVD/VCR player and it plays anything. I put in all types of media: +-R, +-RW and all play in it. Cheap, expensive, middle of the road, the player doesn't care. I love it.

16. crescendo

crescendo Member

I got the optorite burner yesterday, and went through several tests since then. So far everything works fine except HDBurn.
    With Nero 6.0.0.11, and Ritek Pony DVD-R 4X Disks(NT$40 in Taiwan, about US$1.15), the 4X DVD-R Burning were very successful in both DVD Backup or DATA-Disk-ISO mode?imutli-session has to be turned off or I've had a problem reading the data disk?j.
    HDBurn is a big reason for me to buy optorite cause I collect roms. And an 1.4G CDR is more convenient to 4.7G DVD-R cause I don't want to burn differnet kind of roms into one DVD. So far I havn't successfully created an HDBurn disk(I got "power calibration error" messages everytime), with my digimaster and imation 700MB disks. I am gonna get one CDR of each major brands and see which one works better with HDBurn. I'll post my result later. Sorry if the English is a little awkward.

17. starcaptr

starcaptr Member

For HD Burn to work, try using the media they list at the optorite website. But the CD media has to be pretty high quality. Im gonna try out TDK media soon and post results (Nero infotool reports it uses CMC Magnetics dye...ugh). Sony Supremas CDR media and Fujifilm CDR media both worked without a hitch (Sony media reports Sony brand, Fujifilm reports Taiyo Yuden).

18. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

I saw on Amazon they had 50 Memorex CD-R's on sale for $10 something.. Has anyone tried these for HDBurn? Not a bad price but I don't know if I want it, if it can't handle HDBurn.

Is Memorex cheap media?

19. menaceboy

menaceboy Member

dont buy memorex from compusa or anywhere else, the 100 pack i've just tried two disc's... in hd-burn mode it gives a power calibration error. i'm going to buy fuji's later today , kinda ticked me off cause the memorex was one of the cheapest bulk i saw and i was so giddy opening my optorite burner from the overnight shipping box.. bummer :p

20. crescendo

crescendo Member

I'll just start a new thread about Optorite HDBurn.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003