1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. solo29

solo29 Member

Hi, I've just purchased an msi dvd burner (same as the sanyo) and tried hd-burning with Akai 700mb blank cdr's and Nero 6, but got the old (calibration error), Has anyone used this media??

thanks

2. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

I'm just about to pull the trigger and order this Optorite DVD burner, but I'm just looking for a little more data (I will be very interested to see your posts on media compatibility from those who recently ordered the sample packs).

At ExtremeMhz.com (http://www.extrememhz.com/dd0203-p3.shtml) they posted a nice review on this drive, and it makes mention that the included B's Recorder GOLD5 has the ability to "rip" a DVD movie, unfortunately they make no further mention of how well it does, or any tests they did.

Has anyone tried to backup any of their DVD movies using the included B's Recorder GOLD5?

Thanks,
    Cal

3. actech

actech Regular member

i'm ready to also, 159.99 no shipping charges at www.newegg.com anyone found it cheaper?

4. brh996

brh996 Member

Pricewatch.com - search for the model #. NOt much cheaper though $152 i think.

5. cheib

cheib Member

Just wanted to let you guys know that I have now tried PNY, Memorex, E3 CD-R's and Sony CD-RW and none of them were successful using the HD-Burn. Otherwise beside the fact that I cannot get any media to work with this feature the drive has been great, it burns just about every type of dvd-r and dvd+r I have put in it accept some cheap dvd-r's that were unbranded off of ebay.

6. BradLad

BradLad Guest

[bold]NEW FIRMWARE 216 Writes 4X DVD-R[/bold]

Just updated new firmware 216 and now I can write Princo X4 at 4X. Will try other cheap brands and let you know what works.

7. babsy

babsy Guest

the firmware for optorite dd0203 will it work in windows 98se

8. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

I purchased the sampler pack of 4x DVD-Rs from rima.com. Only the Riteks burned at 4x. All others there Princo, DupEZ and Optodisc burned at 2x. That was with firmware 2.11 though. Now that 2.16 is out, I don't have any more blank DVD-Rs! ;-)

9. P1Tom

P1Tom Member

Well, everything is working well with my Optorite now. My question is should I change my firmware to 2.16? Does it every make things worse? If I do and it messes things up can I always go back to what I have now? I am new to firmware and always stick to the idea of If it's not broke don't fix it! Does anyone know what 2.16 fixes? More media?

Any advice welcome

10. actech

actech Regular member

well i have my new burner ordered on monday got it thursday does anyone recommend getting the firmware updates or not? thank you

11. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

That depends on what firmware came with your drive. I think 2.11 seemed to fix most problems people were having and added support for more media at higher speeds. Firmware 2.16 was just released an I have been using it for a few days now without problems. Someone else here said that it allowed burning at 4x with the Princo 4x DVD-Rs, so I'm probably going to puck up a spindle of those.

12. BradLad

BradLad Guest

[bold]HD-BURN[/bold]
    When using HD-BURN you have to close/finalise the disc or your Optorite will not read it.
    I use FWS/Ritek CDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2003
  13. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Hey Brad (or anyone else with this drive and Princo 4x media), how have the [bold]Princo 4x DVD-Rs[/bold] been working? Do they burn at 4x now with the updated firmware? I am thinking of ordering some.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  14. BradLad

BradLad Guest

Yes they burn at 4x.
    I used 20 Bulkpaq orange and 25 choice GenX (both Princo).
    No coasters and all played on 4 different DVD players perfect.

15. lmadern

lmadern Member

Brad, what software are you using to burn at 4x on the Princo's with the new firmware?

16. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

I ordered the drive for $152 delivered from one of the guys on pricewatch.com (damn now it's even cheaper at $147 delivered!!!!). I also ordered from yesbuy.net (against my better judgement) 100 Princo 4X and just to test, 25 of their SKY (Silver Top/Purple Bottom) (anyone ever heard of these guys???) DVD-R blanks. So when everything shows up, I'll do some testing and post my results. It looks like Brad has been sucessfull at using the Princo 4X blanks at 4X burning speeds, but it'll be interesting to see if these Sky blanks work with the 2.16 firmware upgrade at 4X speeds.

Brian

17. BradLad

BradLad Guest

I use Nero 6011 on WinXP.
    The Red Datawrite 4X also work O.K. But there are two types one with A white inner circle and one silver or clear circle.
    I tried the ones with the white inner circle.

18. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

Has anyone tried to *backup* a comercial movie using the software that came with the Optorite DVD burner?? It's claimed to be able to copy copy protected movies.

Thanks!

19. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

The software that comes with the drive is pretty weak. I use DVD-Shrink and Nero6 for backing up my movies.

20. BradLad

BradLad Guest

I get my DVD-R from http://www.svp.co.uk
    Orange Bulkpaq 4X = 0.67p Each
    Choice GenX 4x = 0.69p Each
    Plus stacks more of other great bargains.
    Delivery quick to. (UK)
    All work Great at 4X speed with the 2.16 Firmware.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2003