1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optorite DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Paladin36, Jun 10, 2003.

1. elmoksu

elmoksu Member

Hey, sounds good, but sucks that it's for UK. Anyone know of a similar deal on DVD-R's for the US when using the new 2.16 firmware? Remember to include shipping charges in the $/disk price :eek:)

Also, is it just me, or has others came across the problem of some DVD-R movies not working in some COMPUTER DVD drives? Is this because some computer dvd drives won't play region unlocked DVD's or because of the brand/type of media I was using? I was using PioData for the tests, and the same thing happened with sansui media too. Just want to play movies on my Dell Laptop :eek:) Thanks.

2. actech

actech Regular member

cal cobra i tried to use the b's software it doesnot do movies tried to back up pink floyd the wall only media i know about at this time is fuji +r/w practicing on r/w's

3. BradLad

BradLad Guest

You can use Bs Rec Gold for DVD.
    Make data CD and drag over the VIDEO_TS folder with all your DVD files in.

4. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

elmoksu I bought from yesbuy.net 100 Princo 4X DVD-R blanks with the standard black DVD cases (same as movies come in) is $118. I also ordered their cheaper Sky 4X DVD-R, and some extra cases. They were very reasonable on their shipping (if you order 25+ of the Sky 4X DVD blanks the shipping is free for the Sky).

http://yesbuy.net/4xdvdr47gb.html

Here's a breakdown on my order inc. shipping (and unfortunately because I live in Cali tax :(

PRINCO DVD-R 4X (100pcs) 11-0069-100&20-0100-100 1 118.00
    & DVD Case (100pcs)
    DVD Case (10pcs) 20-0100-10 1 3.80
    COLOR: = Black
    "4X" DVD-R (25pcs) 11-0092-25 1 23.00
    Double DVD Case (10pcs) 20-0103-10 1 4.00
    COLOR: = Black
    Subtotal 148.80
    Shipping 11.30
    Tax 12.28
    Total 172.38

I had some hesitation about ordering from them, as when I did a search on google I saw some complaints, yet others praised them. I ordered last Monday, and received the order on Friday. I did call them to get tracking, and wasn't impressed by their customer service, but I was able to get a tracking # and the stuff came in a timely manor. So I guess what I'm trying to say is use at your own risk :)

Cal

5. lmadern

lmadern Member

Cobra, how have the yesbuy.net 4x media worked? Have they burned at 4x and do they work in all your standalones?

Also, I agree that their customer service department leaves a bit to be desired, but their product has never been bad for me. Although I only order from Rima.com and supermediastore.com now because of price and reliability. But if those Sky dvd's burn at 4x and their compatibility is good I may have to start ordering from yesbuy.net again. :)

6. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

lmadern unfortunately my DVD burner isn't scheduled to be delivered until this Wed. I'm going to upgrade my system from WinME to XP (or maybe 2K) and then install the drive and the 2.16 bios. I definitely will be testing over the Holiday weekend, and will post my results. I'm hoping that the Sky media will work @ 4X, because with free shipping on 25 or more units, I don't think you can beat it (although I could be wrong :)

I'll keep you posted - CalCobra

7. bdennis

bdennis Guest

Anyone that can help with Optorite firmware upgrade error. When I try to open the DVDflash.exe I get an error message. "open I/O driver error" when I click OK it opens the DVD Flash screen. I then click the 2.16 version and it goes through the flash but when windows re-boots the new firmware has not taken hold. What is the "open I/O driver error"? and if it means that some other device or software has already taken that I/O port how do I find out which divice or program and disable it?

Thank you for any help.

OS winXP Pro

8. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

bdennis, I also receive this same error message when running the "DV2Flash" application. But when I go ahead and apply the upgrade, it works for me. It still won't show the new firmware version in the upgrade util, but the "Nero InfoTool" that comes with Nero6 correctly shows it as 2.16. How are you checking what firmware version your drive is at? And what version is it showing?

9. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I just picked up my DD0203 and updated the firmware to v2.16 (from their site). They are pretty crappy at telling you what the firmware updates allow/disallow. Has anyone been able to figure out what the firmware's are allowing us to do? I mean, they don't tell you what's been updated. Has there been anyone out there that has created a hecked firmware version for this yet?

I haven't burnt anything with this drive yet. Am using my Pioneer 105 as Backup.

10. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I apologize, meant to post this in my last "post". My Nero (Nero 6 Ultra v6.0.11) InfoTool keeps shutting down before it can gather all the information. Anyone else have the same problem? I opened the "flash" tool for the v2.16 firmware upgrade and it shows that the firmware took hold however, now my info tool doesn't work. Any suggestions?

11. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

BlkPnthr, Nero infoTool works fine for me. To figure out which drive may be causing the problem, you may want to try disconnecting each drive one at a time and reboot into windows attempting to launch InfoTool again.

Also, as I just found out, DO NOT launch InfoTool while burning a DVD! ;-)

12. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I thank you for that little tid-bit of info. I have narrowed it down to the Optorite burner as my "problem" burner. Recognized my Pioneer no problem. I have gone directly to InfoTool at Windows start-up and it completes about 98% and then comes up with options: "Click OK to cancel program or click Cancel to debug the program". No idea what to do. Just burnt a movie using Alcohol 120% and it told me that it was burning at 4x but, actually, was 2x. Not bad I guess, considering I am using 1x media.

Thx

13. BradLad

BradLad Guest

Make sure you have DMA turned on.
    I had the same problem. Burning at 4X but took the time of 2X.
    Somehow the DMA got turned off. Turned DMA back on and all O.K.

14. BradLad

BradLad Guest

New firmware out 2.17
    Not tried it yet. No mention on the Optorite site what this fixes.

15. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Member

Firmware 2.16 is working fine for me. I just received my Princo 4x DVD-Rs last night and have burned 3 so far at 4x with Nero. So far, so good.

I'm not sure that I want to risk going to the new 2.17 firmware without know what it fixes. I also noticed the bin file in the firmware package is named a little different from the previous ones.

16. BradLad

BradLad Guest

I installed the 2.17 firmware.
    When installing it opens the drive tray and just before it finishes it then closes.
    Burned a couple of DVD-Rs at 4X o.k.
    Only difference I can see is the busy light stays on when A disc is in the drive and flashes when writing.

17. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Call me "slow" but, I have forgotten how to turn my "DMA" on and, reference my NeroInfo Tool, I use Alcohol 120% and had 4 virtual drives set up and kept getting my error codes however, I have reduced my virtual drives from 4 to 2 and now Nero InfoTool completes the check "okay". As far as firmware updates go, I keep getting and error window, then tells me to reboot the system (hangs when I click "OK", need to manually restart the PC) and when I check the firmware, it says that the firmware has changed to the new firmware but, not sure if it "successfully" took as I got an error during the flashing. Any thoughts? I also use a PIONEER 105/A05 (works awesome) with the hacked firmware. Have nothing but problems with the PIONEER firmware. Version 2.17? Have to check that out. Would really like to know exactly what these firmware updates are doing for us.

18. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

I just wanted to post an update.

I ordered two different types of inexpensive DVD-R 4X media from yesbuy.net. I upgraded my Optorite DVD burner to the newest 2.17 flash, and I can write to the Princo 4X DVD-R blanks fine. Unfortunately the Sky 4X DVD-R blanks are only recognized as 2X media :(

Now to figure out how to do video editing :)

Cal

19. CalCobra

CalCobra Guest

After making a couple of coasters (RTFM!!!!) I'm off and away with DVD Shrink 3.0.... folks I'm totally new to burning DVDs, but I have to say this freeware program totally rocks!!! I tried the trial version of DVD Xcopy Express, and it's ok, but compared to DVD Shrink, it's an idiots program!

DVD Shrink works perfect with the included Bs Gold 5. I'd love to try Nero 6 Platinum but I don't have it (wink wink)... Does anyone think it would be more likely to burn the cheap 4X media actually at 4X using Nero 6 apposed to the Bs Gold, or does the burning application not factor into the equation at all?

Gotta run...I have some DVDs to burn :)

CalCobra

20. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I am the complete opposite. I prefer using 321 Studios programs, be it either DVDX Copy or DVD Copy Xpress. I am having a hell of a time using B's Gold and Nero to burn HD-Video files. Claims I can burn 1.4 Gig onto a 700MB CD, I'm not having much luck getting this aspect of the burner to work. I've yet to make a coaster. If anyone can figure out HD-Burning or if they know of a good guide that is out there, please post a link to it.

Thanks