1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optowrite DD0401/DD0203 / DD0201

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by zussman, Mar 18, 2004.

1. zussman

zussman Member

HELP!!!

Can anyone tell me the difference between these three Optowrite models besides the 0201/0203 being 4X units and 0401 being an 8X unit.

Which of the two: DD0201 or DD0203 is the newer model?

Optowrite's website has been down for a few weeks and I have found nothing but conflicting information everywhere else.

I own one DD0203 right now and I'm looking for another DVD +/- writer that is equal to or better. I am totally satisfied with the DD0203, but want to get the best bang to buck ratio I can.

The DD0401/DD0203 / DD0201 cost with $25 of each other and I really want to know which unit is best.

I know the Optowrite DD0401 can write DVD at 8X speed, but it has 2MB cache compared to the DD0201/DD0203 models having 8MB cache.

What exactly does a DVD+/- burner with 8MB cache instead of 2MB cache do better?

Is it better to buy a DVD 4X w/ 8MB cache writer or DVD 8X with 2MB cache writer.

I keep reading that there are only a few companies which manufacturer DVD+/- writers. How can I find out who made my Optowrite DD0203? I have already backed up more than 200+ DVDs in four months time with no problems.

I have had it up the wazoo with opinions, but any and all accurate FACTS would sure be appreciated.

THANKS!!!

2. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi zussman
    I own an I/O Magic IDVDRW4D burner better known as a Optorite DD0203. I can answer some of your questions. Information on the drives can be found at the following sites
    1. www.iomagic.com
    2. www.accesstek.com
    3. www.optorite.com ( This site has just been redesigned and is part of Accesstek.)
    The DD0201 and the DD0203 are basically the same with different cosmetics. The firmware is different suggesting some internal differences.
    If you do a search on HD-Burn you would find it is a Sanyo technology and somewhere I read that the DD0203 is a Sanyo based unit.
    The Optorite is an OK unit but does have media issues. If I was to replace the burner, I think I would buy a name brand unit.
    I hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004