1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ordering CDs from Ubuntu. Is it totally Free for US??

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by JaguarGod, May 30, 2006.

1. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I would like to order CDs for Ubuntu using Shipit. I would like the 10 Disc shipment with 5 PC, 3 64bit and 2 MAC edition. Will this be free for the US or is there a charge?

Also, is this the "Enterprise" edition or whatever it was that people were talking about?

Thanks

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

NO they don't have Enterprise Edition.........(I think) but it is something they are working on......But yea it is totally Free in US.....I have ordered Cd's from Ubuntu.......But keep on mind that you won't get the Cd's for about a month......

3. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Also, I hear that Novell Suse is a good Linux distribution. How would that compare to Ubuntu.

And thank you for the quick reply to my initial question.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I personally like Ubuntu better than suse because of how much more Ubuntu Devlopers work on Security Updates and Program Updates and different Releases of Ubuntu.....Ubuntu is one of the most worked on distros in Linux.....Suse is a more "Well Known" Distro......It has it's differences like Suse uses the RPM package system I believe and Ubuntu uses the DEB package system......Plus keep in mind that Suse is like 5 CD's Install,While Ubuntu is a 1 CD install.....I have tried SUSE once...But went back to Ubuntu.....It all depends on what your taste is and what you are using your PC for.........If you are going to use your PC as a server i would use SUSE for now,Untill Ubuntu comes out with a better Server release....

But this is just my opinion......Both have it's disadvantages and advantages.......

5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Thank you for the reply. I have made the order for Ubuntu and hopefully I will enjoy it as you have:)

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd say get SuSE rather than Ubuntu, it's easier for someone who's totally new to linux (since installing programs can be quite tricky for newbies when you have a distribution that doesn't support using rpm's)
    and it's easier to work with in general,
    Not to mention more stable, and more like windows in the way it's layed out.

7. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

just like to say thanx for this thred ive bin searcing for a new os for a few weeks now and ive had windows and suse linux 10, windows i used for years but i try linux and just could not get the hang of it.

so hopefully i can with this one Ubuntu sound great
    just so i know is it as easy as windows
    thanx

8. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

hey people i was using firefox's "stumble upon" and found this site http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php its not my site or anything but he/she has tons of live cd downloads for various versions of linux etc. thought it was a kewl site had to share it..

9. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok thanx a lot mate nice of you

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Nice link there..

I am on Debian 3.1 after having a major fall out with Ubuntu over non-function of lots of strange little things that are important. It's a good start for the new linux user but you probably won't stay with it for more than a few weeks if you do any more than roam the internet. And there are a couple of security issues I'm not too sure about as well.
    SuSE is too resource heavy for me and Gentoo has just gone off into a world of it's own. Like hardcore linux.. Slackware 10, very good but you need to know lots (which I don't yet but I'm getting there)
    There's IMHO only one way to really get to grips with linux..and that's to get rid of the crutch of windows completely.. bite the bullet and go for it with any flavour of linux, and if you don't like the one you have then change it.
    Good hint... use a smallish hdd for the OS and another for the /home partition..that way you can just change OS without losing everything, including keeping all your bookmarks in firefox. Gotta love that!!

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

12. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I oppologize for the blind eye... I'm incoherently coherent alot more often than not... sorry

13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

No worries, i just pointed that thread out so people get the idea of the sheer number of distro's available, and start rethinking about using Ubuntu..."The human linux" ? yeah right.

14. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

So which would you reccomend? I have ISO's of Xandros and Ubuntu already but I'm willing to try any. As far as ISO's and burning, I assume I burn the disc as a "bootable disk" is that right? That may be a stupid question to some but I'll remain stupid if I dont ask.... (lack of experience with ISO's) sorry

15. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Just burn to a disc. It'll be bootable on it's own.
    As for distro's for people who are new to linux, Fedora Core and SuSE are the easiest to work with.

16. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I had wondered that since I do know that an ISO is an exact copy of a disc but I just wasn't sure. This is what the Ubuntu site instructed: On Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / 2003 Server

Verify the ISO file. [WWW] Instructions on OpenOffice.org.

Download and install [WWW] an ISO burner.

Launch the ISO burner > File menu > Write disk from ISO file > select the ISO file. (Make sure you set the cd as bootable so it starts up from there at bootup.)

so thats why I was thinking maybe theres more to it....
    but it would make sense that in exact copy of the install disc it would be bootable on its own.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  17. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Fiend, I'm taking your advice and I'm currently downloading disc one of SUSE 10.1, there are 5 total. I assume I just run each disc consecutively. Something I've been in debate about is formatting the hard drive, should I clean swipe the hard drive before trying to install SUSE (I have several pc's laying around so formatting is rather easy) or should I just run it right ontop of windows? I have no plans on keeping windows on that particular pc and the book mildly covers this issue so I had to ask. The reason I ask is in effort to install ubuntu from an iso I ran into trouble.... it went through and loaded ok and then it rebooted on its own but shortly after the opening "gateway" screen I was left with a command line and "Linux for Dummies" never said a thing about command lines during installation so I removed the disc and its currently using windows again. Maybe I wont have this issue with SUSE... I dunno.. thats also where my iso thread evolved from... thinking maybe I had burned the iso wrong.. Anyways, Suse is ready for disc two now so I'll leave you be... talk to all you all later... thanks for all your help!

18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you plan to use it as a pure linux system, then just wipe out all the data on the HD, then do a clean install of SuSE.
    It's not necessary, but that's what i do when i do a linux only system, just to make the install go smoother.

19. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

alright, sounds like the best thing to do I agree.

20. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

ok I'm on the last disc of five and I just have this question and I'll shut up and stop bothering you all... for at least a day or two... I only need the 5 disc right? (NET boot image is not needed in other words) and also the add-on cd?? dont need it either right?

*The Addon CD contains packages with closed source or not OSI-compliant license.

just curious...

~redundant questions kill future post~ lol