1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organize Mp3s

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bobright, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bobright

bobright Guest

Okay this might be a dumb question, but i was wondering if anyone knows of something i can get, that organizes my mp3 files? something where i can easily get to them and listen without opening them from c; whatever it is...

2. bobright

bobright Guest

maybe a player that does this, i have so much music i recently backed up and i know theres an easier way to listen and go through my files than having to go in and out of folders

=(

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

go download winamp. winamp 5 comes with a music library/catalog feature built in, although I really don't care for it that much. but go download a plugin for winamp (should be under the "plugins" page on winamp) called MEXP (music explorer plugin). Its a great library tool and I've never come across anything better. The thing I like them most is the control you have over it, you can organize and group your mp3s in any way you want. worth checking out

4. bobright

bobright Guest

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

6. bobright

bobright Guest

and with the version 5?

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah it works with either winamp 2 or winamp 5

8. bobright

bobright Guest

kool im gonna check tht out. on a sidenote, do you know of a program that will go online and tag my files. they ripped as track 1, 2....

and itd be a pain to name them all

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

pretty sure imtoo cd audio ripper has that function

10. bobright

bobright Guest

ahh, yeah thing is there already all ripped

re-ripping would be twice as worse

=(

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I use Tag&Rename. Its a easy to use windows explorer like tool but has pretty much every function you need for tagging and renaming files. It can connect to the freedB online and automatically tag your files for you.

12. bobright

bobright Guest

is there a way i can cleanup the "filenames" im not sure how to do that

i can edit the album title and name. but it still shows as track 01, underscore untitled. the artist and album title just show up like highlighted in the background when im looking lookin at them in the folder

you hear what im saying?

update: I just figured it out. lol

thanks for the recommend scoop, this programs awesome

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah you can rename the filenames based on the id tags. I have an older version (v2.1.6) but in mine there's three tabs at the top: rename mp3 files, multi file tag editor, and mp3 file name to ID tag. use the second one to connect to the freedB and rename the ID tags, then use the first on to rename the mp3 files based on the tags. you have many different options on how you name them, for example I use %1 - %6 - %2 for artist - track# - title.

14. bobright

bobright Guest

yeah im using that to. i barely figured out how to change the filenames

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

once you get the hang of it its easy. what version are they up to now?

16. bobright

bobright Guest

shoot 3.1.7, but its a trial. im thinking of getting hold of an older more basic version

and im not sure if thats how i want to sort my stuff.. the "%1 - %2" seems good to. with just the track number and title showing.

or nayyy?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well the track number is %6 so if you just want track# - title it would be %6 - %1. me personally I like having the artist in the filename too, but everybody does it differently...