1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original DVD freezing PC and monitor goes to standby

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gamelover, Apr 2, 2008.

1. gamelover

gamelover Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you can help me out.

I just bought the new Joe Satriani CD & DVD deluxe edition of 'Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock'. The DVD is NTSC and I'm in the UK but I can't see that would make any difference in this case.

It doesn't matter what media player I use to play the DVD nor does it matter which of the two drives I use. The menu comes up with sound, then the computer freezes (though I can still move my mouse)after a moment the monitor shows a black screen. The monitor is actually going into standby mode as if there is no signal and the light goes from green to amber. The PC will then do nothing, CTRL ALT Delete doesn't work either. The only way to get it back is to hold the main power button on the tower until it switches off and restart.

I have no clue why it is doing this as it has never happened with any disc in the past.

The disc is Region 0 though it does have 'copy control' and playability is claimed to be 100% on the back of the case. Though it is Sony/BMG so I wouldn't take their word for it.

My PC is a 2.2 Gig AMD 64 3200+ running XP SP2, 512 RAM, ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT Graphics Card, LG DVD RAM MULTI burner, Samsung CD/DVD Rom.

I tried Windows Media Player, ATI DVD Player, Nero Showtime and they all do the same thing.

I have K-lite Mega Codec Pack installed also though I don't think the issue is codec related as this is the only DVD it has done this with, ever.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions from you good people on what is causing this and how I can solve it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I understand that many UK standalone DVD players can handle NTSC disks - does this disk play on a standalone unit?

3. gamelover

gamelover Member

Absolutely, I watched it on my Thompson Home Theater 5.1 surround system and it played flawlessly.

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. gamelover

gamelover Member

Many thanks for your help so far!

I have DVD Fab HD 4 Latest Update and good old DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink installed, Nero 6 as well. Does Any DVD conflict with these at all? I am sure I read that it does somewhere though I could be wrong.

It rips fine using Fab and needs no compression as it is less than a dvd5 in size anyway. I am going to try and mount the iso image using Daemon Tools and see what happens if I play that. My PC might freeze up but I'll post the results in a mo.....

6. gamelover

gamelover Member

OK, the mounted ISO Image does the same thing.

7. attar

attar Senior member

I meant for to let AnyDVD sit in the background and try playing it, but if it rips ok you have to assume there is no protection.
    I would try it in another PC or in safe mode.

8. gamelover

gamelover Member

OK, I'll go into safe mode and try be back in a sec...

9. gamelover

gamelover Member

When I went to safe mode, none of my media player software would load so I couldn't try playing it.

It's getting a little late over here now so I'll have to give it up for tonight but I'll check back tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Before going off for the night, I thought I might just try Any DVD running in the background and playing it both from the original disk and from the mounted ISO. Unfortunately it was a wasted effort, it's still doing the same thing.

It plays through the 'Epic' Logo Screen, then there's another logo screen. Next it goes to the dvd main menu. It plays for 10-15 secs with sound but but the picture is black and white. The menu freezes and the sound starts to skip the monitor goes to standby mode and that is it, power down holding the main power button on the tower as nothing else works. Restart and everything is normal again.

10. gamelover

gamelover Member

Anyone have any further suggestions?

11. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I was going to suggest temporarily clearing out the
    "lowerfilters" in case there's a driver conflicting somewhere,
    but since you created an iso and that also had issues,
    I'm not sure if it's relevant, but stranger thngs have happened.

It's something you could try though (backup the registry first)
    After deleteing the contents of lowerfilters, reboot and retry your
    disk. The key can be found here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Secondly have you ever successfully played an NTSC in that PC?

Thirdly, if the problem still occurs, I would uninstall the
    codec pack and download a trial of windvd or powerdvd.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  12. gamelover

gamelover Member

Hi davexnet, Many thanks for your suggestion with this problem.

I believe this is the first dvd I have that happened to be NTSC and the wierd thing is I bought it in the UK so you would have thought it would have been made in PAL format. I did remember having had this problem just a few weeks ago with something else and it never came to mind until now...

I converted some AVI files to DVD using nero and the resulting DVD froze up like this NTSC one. The disc did play in a standalone but not in my PC. That is the only other occurence I have had of this problem.

So, I updated K-lite mega codec pack a few days back, made a registry backup today, deleted the lowerfilters and re-booted....

Upon re-booting I now get the following messages:

1. Pinnacle Driver Check: detected problems with your driver settings would you like to fix these now? YES / NO. I selected no for the moment.

2. ANYDVD: Warning No DVD Drive Detected:
    Reasons for this warning:
    1. You don't have a dvd drive.
    2. You haven't re-booted after installing AnyDVD.
    3. Your external dvd drive is not powered on or not connected.
    4. There is a problem initializing the AnyDVD driver, if this is the case, uninstall/re-install Anydvd and re-boot.

So I get those warnings/errors, open media player stick the NTSC dvd in and it plays perfectly. The menu is in full colour and there is no freezing up or anything! I also mounted the image in daemon tools and played it in media player without issue. All drives are showing as normal in 'my computer' and other apps.

Solved one problem and created others unfortunately but then AnyDVD could be uninstalled anyway as it is only a trial version I downloaded to help resolve this problem. I also noticed that the 'lowerfilters' part of the registry key I deleted was related to Anydvd as it was shown in the reg-editor. But then this problem happened before I installed AnyDVD.

What do you reckon to solve the driver problems then? Should I go ahead and uninstall AnyDVD? What about the Pinnacle Driver Check should I tell it Yes Or tell it No and tell it 'Do not ask this again'?

EDIT: I went ahead and uninstalled AnyDVD and now I just get the Pinnacle Driver Check message offering to fix the problem.

I really appreciate all your help!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  13. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Glad to hear you're getting somewhere -
    here's my suggestion:
    Uninstall and reinstall Pinnacle. (or use the driver check fix)
    If problem reoccurs,
    get in touch with Pinnacle support and ask them why their filter
    is interfering with your DVD playing.

The drivers, specified in "lowerfilters", are often installed
    by applications that have some kind of burning capabilty.
    It's there for them to get some control during the burning process.

The reason you got the warning messages was because the apps
    often have a program at startup time to make sure their filter
    is still accessible.

If the dvd's still play fine after pinnacle is restored and fixed,
    then one of the other apps cauased it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  14. gamelover

gamelover Member

Thanks davexnet.

I'll try telling it to fix using the driver check and if that fails I'll go on and uninstall/re-install all the pinnacle software.

Will post back with the results...

15. gamelover

gamelover Member

Hi again,

OK I told it to fix the driver problems which it said was successful and to reboot.

Re-boot fine and no pinnacle driver check! Yey! Tried my disc and the mounted image, all is cool with playback.

Went to regedit and the lowerfilters are now back in there but under the 'data' section of the lowerfilters it now lists 'ASAPIW2K'. Before I deleted the lowerfilters the data showed 'AnyDVD/ xxxxxxx' I don't remember exactly but it was definitely AnyDVD/. Yet I had a problem before AnyDVD was installed? Maybe I'm looking to deep...

Anyway whatever the problem was, it is now fixed as far as I am aware so as long as I don't come across any other issues this thread can be closed. I'm a happy camper.

My thanks to attar and particularly to davexnet for solving this! Also to Afterdawn and all the staff for this cool place we have to come and get this sort of help!

16. gamelover

gamelover Member

Well it seems I may have jumped the gun in thinking this problem was fixed...

I'm having the same problems with other iso images and original discs now. Strange thing is that the Joe Satriani original disc and iso image causing me the problem in the first place still plays fine but others are having the problem I had before, even with the original discs. Very strange indeed!

So, I uninstalled Pinnacle Studio 8 and Pinnacle Hollywood FX 4.6. Upon re-booting, Pinnacle Driver Check popped up to say that my driver settings were incorrect and to fix them. First off I said no and tried to play a DVD, problem still there.

I assumed the driver check software would be part of the Pinnacle studio 8 package and that it would have been uninstalled but I guess not. There is no seperate listing for it in add/remove programs either.

Moving on, I re-boot again, tell driver check to fix, re-boot, still problems.

Re-install Pinnacle Studio 8 and Hollywood FX, re-boot, still problems, strangely no problem with the Satriani disc or iso image this all started with, only with other original discs and iso's.

Also, in Registry Editor, lowerfilters data is now showing 'ASAPIW2K PFC' whereas after the fix we done before (which seemed to have worked at the time) it showed 'ASAPIW2K' and has now added the 'PFC' to the end, if that is of any significance.

I tried playing several different Iso's and DVD's but they all do the same thing. The last one I just played, I had to power down and re-boot because it froze and the monitor switched to standby. Upon re-booting I got a registry error message that said it had to recover a registry setting from a backup or log file that was missing or corrupted.

Now I am completely stumped again.

If you're out there davexnet, or anyone else that can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  17. attar

attar Senior member

I would start by uninstalling the K-Lite codec pack.
    Use VLC player to test the DVD playback and the image files.
    As I recall, iso files can be played back directly with VLC;no mounting required.
    VLC does not require external codecs and can be uninstalled without problems.

18. davexnet

davexnet Active member

The names in lowerfilter are just references to drivers that
    various tools install that have an interest in the cd/dvd burn.

In fact you can see the drivers in device manager/
    dvd/cd rom drives/(select the drive) / right click / properties
    /driver/driver details.

The PC I'm using right now also has PFC, and using the display in
    device manager, I can see that it's actually
    \windows\system32\drivers\pfc.sys - installed by some app. or other.

Try actually uninstalling all apps that have burning capability.
    Verify whether the problem is gone, and if it is,
    reinstall the apps one by one and see what happens.

As far as the driver check is concerned, it's probably something
    you can see in the startup list in msconfig.
    it's usually associated, and therefore uninstalled, when the app.
    is uninstalled.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  19. gamelover

gamelover Member

Thanks for the fast responses guys!

I'll try all of the above and let you know how I get on. Though it's likely to be tomorrow before I get it done.

Cheers for now.

20. gamelover

gamelover Member

Hi again,

I uninstalled all burning software, decrypters, K-lite codec pack and Pinnacle Studio/Hollywood FX (ATI Versions).

I didn't bother to re-install K-lite at any point as I can likely do without it anyway.

Everything was cool until I installed the Pinnacle software, then Media Player (Ver 11) froze and stopped responding before it even played the iso or original discs.

Uninstalled Pinnacle Studio/Hollywood FX and everything is sweet! I tested multiple iso images and original discs and they all play perfectly.

I can do without Pinnacle and K-lite anyway but it was definitely one of them (or a combination of the two) that caused this problem.

I'm sure this is now definitely solved.

My many, many thanks once again to you both, I really appreciate all your help!