1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

original XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by rondogg, Oct 7, 2007.

1. rondogg

rondogg Member

i have the original xbox i got it about 6 years ago and it sropped working on me about three years after i got it. so i pretty much just gave up on it and just kept it cause i have some good music downloaded to it. every game i have owned i gave away cause i am assuming it was broke! okay so the other day i put a movie in just for shits and giggles and it worked so i was like hell yeah it works again so i put a different movie and nothing. so i thought what the hell i am gonna go buy a game and see if it will by some chance work now when i put the game in it looks like it might work cause it sounds like its uploading then i get a screen that says "YOUR XBOX CAN'T RECOGNIZE THIS DISC. MAKE SURE IT'S AN XBOX GAME, DVD MOVIE, OR AUDIO CD, ALSO CHECK TO SEE IF THE DISC IS DIRTY OR DAMAGED. REMOVE THE DISC TO CONTINUE." this has been like this for years and i gave up got a PS2 but i really want to play halo 2 can anyone tell what i can do??

2. mohawwk

mohawwk Member

So is it working or not? Is it intermitant?
    Do you have a mod chip? softmod or exploit?
    Have you opened the box up since it "died" on you?

For me, the only time I had failures were with bad hard drives.

danny

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I am pretty sure that you need a new DVD Drive inside. If the drive is a Thompson drive, then they are prone to failures. I know that the XBOX uses a PC DVD Drive and I think it can be replaced with any PC DVD ROM Drive. You might just need to switch the drive and get it working. If not, then I know gamestop here in the US has used consoles for $80. I bought my Halo Special Edition XBOX from Gamestop for $80 and its been working fine.
    Correct me if I am wrong about using any DVD Drive in the XBOX

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You can NOT use any drive in the Xbox!

The Xbox requires an 'Xbox' drive. There is one model of LG that can be modified with a lot of patience to work, but hardly worth the effort!

Before we go replacing drives, what type of discs are you running?

The stock console will only read 'real' Xbox games and DVDs!

Have a look at my tutorials, work out which drive type you have and then see the relevant section on how to repair it!

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007