1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Os Help on an old notebook

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mrcapdown, Jan 17, 2016.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

Hello all,

First of all I've not been on here for a long while. It's good to see the technology community is still helping each other.

Right I hope my post is in the right post.

I'm looking for advice with operating systems. Unfortunately my main laptop that was running to near perfection got a bit wet after a spilt beer went all over it. As I can't not a ford to replace the motherboard at the moment I'm trying to revive an old netook. The specs are 1.3GHz cpu 2gb of ram and I'm using the ssd of of my main broken one. What Os would work best on it? I'm open to using any platform.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the make & model# of the netbook to see what you have & what drivers are available for win7?

3. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

It is a Acer A0751h

Funny enough I'm just loading win7 on it now but I doubt it will run at a usable speed

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

If you do not have the original disks then I would go for Linux because I assume it was Windows XP on that laptop of yours. You could also download what I call a F.U. version of Windows that is unlocked. The problem working with a F.U. version of Windows is if the OS gets repaired then the F.U. portion of the OS will get repaired.

If Linux is what you are going to try. Try peppermint Linux. Why? There are some wireless drivers that are not common that are included in the distro. Peppermint Linux 6 worked for my Dell E4300 with wireless functionality and all the major distributions did not have it and I had to use a compatible wireless usb device to get wireless functionality. It just did not feel right having a laptop that had a wireless option inside of the machine and I had to use an alternative method to get it working.