1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook Express 6 "i can't delete anything"

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by djaydave, Jan 5, 2006.

1. djaydave

djaydave Member

for some reason, i cannot delete any of my messages, if i try to move e-mail to delete folder it say message cannot be saved....basically i can't delete anything anyhow (my inbox is getting full).
    i've tried to redo my account but that didn't work.
    this is my primary e-mail account "please help"
    by the way, my xp pro is not store bought.
    dave

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

log into your email account through the website it is on rather than through outlook and delte your emails. it will free up your inbox until we can figure out why its not working properly in outlook

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Outlook Express uses a data base that is made up of DBX files -- they are well hidden in the O/S ! If you make your way to :- C:\Documents and Settings\the name you gave to your PC\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ bunch of numbers.}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

In that last folder look for the file named [bold]Deleted Items.dbx[/bold] and rename it to Deleted Items[bold]B[/bold].dbx -- now close Outlook express -- Reboot !

The O/S will create a new Deleted Items.dbx and you will be ok !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. djaydave

djaydave Member

i want to thank SypherTek and Jeanc1 for their help, in the end, i did what Jeanc1 reconmended and it worked like a charm.
    i am very greatful---thank you.

sorry for posting 2 threads, i just didn't know where to post in the first place---didn't mean to bog-up the forum.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You are welcome djaydave ! and thank you for taking the time to come back in and say you had things sorted out ! That is the way those thread should end !

If you have an email antivirus scan -- this is probably what caused your Outlook Express DBX to go sour ! Those scan are just a gimmick to sell you on their product. A good antivirus will scan all objects that came in ; no need to stop a process and scan individually as it comes in. Compacting your mail is also a good way to prevent the DBX going sour.

Have a great day !