1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook gets error after system recovery.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by GonzaloRios, Jul 13, 2016.

1. GonzaloRios

GonzaloRios Newbie

I am getting ECF errors when I open Outlook and "operation failed" when I try to Send/Receive e-mail in Outlook. I have tried Detect and Repair, scanpst and creating new mail profiles. I also renamed the extend.dat file (the file is present in two different user profiles) and removed the add-ins.
    Here's the story: I ran HP system recovery on a PC running Windows XP Media Edition after I was unable to recover from a registry cleaning utility. (I know - always back up the registry first - lesson learned). The system recovery did not format the C portion and lay down a fresh install like I expected it to. It did restore the OS (applied 101 updates) and the original software that came with the PC. I uninstalled the trial version of Office 2003 that came with the PC and installed a licensed copy of Office 2007.
    What should I do to repair this installation?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a "p2p software" issue.

GonzaloRios likes this.
  3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

On my xp home edition there are 3 recovery options,are you sure you selected the correct one.That being number 3
    1-system restore
    2-system recovery (keeps folders & data intact i.e my docs,pictures & settings or maybe not settings i can't remember,however all 3rd party software needs to be reinstalled as all the folders are empty in programs list)
    3-Destructive System recovery (full reformat back to factory)

Edit: number 3 isn't in the initial list if i recall you have to click on advanced or the other option in the selection window,they hid it for obvious reasons

GonzaloRios likes this.
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I think it was in the "advanced" option for #3.

GonzaloRios likes this.
  5. DavidVikstrom

DavidVikstrom Newbie

Was it this article that led you to rename extend.dat? Did you do the registry updates, too?http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=204951

When uninstalling 2003 may have been better if you used windows installer cleanup utility as an uninstall of 2003 still leave behind registry entries.
    Uninstall Office again using the cleanup utility, and reinstall.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

It may help you also. Take a look.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...y-outlook-data?forum=exchangesvrclientslegacy

Davidannguyen and GonzaloRios like this.
  6. GonzaloRios

GonzaloRios Newbie

Thank you guys for your feedback and help. Sorry, that long time did not respond. This is because the issue was solved and I forgot to tell.) Thank you!

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And, what did you do to fix it?