1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Output XBOX sound to 5.1 surround

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by PlymWS, Nov 24, 2004.

1. PlymWS

PlymWS Guest

Hi all,

I have an Xbox and want to output the sound in 5.1 surround rather than the 2 channel stereo. I have bought the adapter to use instead of the standard lead, but I need an optical in to plug the sound into.

I have a Technics DV280 surround system that I was going to use but that doesn't have an optical in facility. In fact, I can't see any 5.1 inputs, only RCA stereo from the VCR and AUX inputs.

Can someone suggest an amplifier I could buy that would be able to change between the Xbox and my Technics system.

By that I mean that I can wire the sound output from the Technics to an input on the amplifier, and have the 5.1 Xbox sound on another input. I could then output the selected surround sound channel using the speakers I got with my Technics.

If an amplifier is not the answer, please could you give me some tips as to what to look for.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jero82

jero82 Member

If your technics system was 5.1 compatible it would most likely have an optical or even digital coax input. but if you only have 2 x rca inputs there is no chance of getting true 5.1

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you are going to need a new amp altogether. And if you get that then your current amp will be useless to you. If it came with speakers (5 of them) then you could reuse those with yoru new amp. But since it sounds like you only have a 2 channel amp you should only have 2 or a maximum of 4 speakers. So you will need to get a 5th for the center channel and most likely will want a sub for the extra .1 channel. A home theater speaker kit is not that much money now, a descent setup can be had for under $300 with the full 6 speaker package. Just make sure you look on the back for the optical line in as well as a whole bunch of ORANGE rca connections on the back.

Use your old system in the garage or a different room for playing cd's and the radio. But us e true 5.1 serround sound system whewn you want the movie effect