over come crashing games after sucessfully upgrading softmod'd hard drive using XBOXHDM

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by error55o, Jul 17, 2006.

1. error55o

error55o Regular member

Thought I'd just point out some MUST HAVES first
    a complete back up of your C: on your xbox
    a complete back up of your E: on your xbox
    XBOXHDM from xbins
    a backed up game (I used Farcry instints evolution)

As the title says, you have to have a replacement hard drive built by XBOXHDM (this has not been done on other rebuild tools as XBOXHDM was teh choice for me)

First up try to load Farcry instints evolution or some other game that used to work (I got lucky and it was the first two I tested with but the rest we ok)

Multi-choice now
    "It worked/all worked ok" - if this is your answer then do nothing more
    "I got the same problem!" - To fix this I had to copy back the back ups of the original drive right over the current so please dont worry.

Side effects - one, see below

Side effect one - Xbox now works like the drive came from Microsoft's factory and all Apps work because they were back ups of pre-tested versions ^_^ this includes XBMC (that can be a b1tc|-| at times)

Thank you bits

Thanks to janrocks and theridges for explantations of the following
    can you use the f drive
    how to format the f drive
    what the g drive is for (its just there apparently)
    the TRUE size of EEPROM.BIN (256bytes)
    and finaly to jonbtrini for his slightly misleading/confusing tutorial on how to upgrade your softmod'd hard drive.

If I missed any one then I am sorry ^_^

look out for my 1st tutorial on how to update XBMC successfully everytime

2. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@error55o

Mayby you can direct me into upgrading my soft modded Xbox HD, I have an 80GB Seagate HD with lost key so I went and bought a 120GB Seagate HD for up grading but I can't seem to do any thing with it, this is the link with my problem I'm having

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/332766/2182914

HELP.

3. error55o

error55o Regular member

if you still got the original drive you can plug that in and get your EEPROM.BIN frmo that one and use XBOXHDM to rebuild your 80g or any other drive for that matter

4. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

I got the original HD in my Xbox with EvolutionX V+3921 on it using configmagic to make a back up the backup say EEPROMbackup.bin but when I transfer the EEPROM from my Xbox to my computer va FTP it say EEPROMBackup the (.BIN) is missing, I try it by adding (.BIN), I tryed it by removing the (Backup and adding the (.BIN)) and I tryed it by removing the (Backup) and nothing, and what about the (No FATX partition found at requested offset) when I used the XBOXHDM_V1.9 to format the drive.

5. error55o

error55o Regular member

the EEPROM.BIN is (aas I found out) 256 bytes in size, the file you need it INSIDE the folder thats called back up (look in c\backup or e:\apps\evox\backup) then retry building your hard drive

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I used Slayer's Autoinstaller to set-up my 60GB Maxtor and I've never had any problems with games.

7. error55o

error55o Regular member

was that using the xbox? my tutorial is for when xboxhdm dont copy back your c: and e: drives back properly

Please read it properly ^_^

8. error55o

error55o Regular member

I have now tested with 65 games and its all good ^_^ (home brew and retail)

9. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

My eeprom file is located in E partition folder, when I made the backup using configmagic it created these files

EEPROMBackup.bin 256 bytes
    EEPROMBackup.cfg 421 bytes
    EEPROMBackup.txt 614 bytes

but when I transfer these files to my computer using SmartFTP the file showes up on my computer as

EEPROMBackup 1 KB
    EEPROMBackup.cfg 1 KB
    EEPROMBackup 1 KB

10. error55o

error55o Regular member

I had this, dont worry, they are the size needed to be, windows stupidly has the 1k as the lowest it can report a file, burn with em ^_^

11. error55o

error55o Regular member

any more questions just dump it here ^_^

12. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@error55o

You see when I put the eeprom in the Linux eeprom folder do I just put the hold EEPROMBackup as is or do I need to change anything, I tryed it in many diffrent ways and it tell me, it can't find the eeprom. I will try it again this weekend when I have more time on my hand.

13. error55o

error55o Regular member

must have EEPROM.BIN

the others are optional

14. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

The reason why I'm having these problem is because I did a fresh install of Windows XP Homes from started to have glitches is after I did the reinstallment these problem develop. every thing was working find untill then.

15. error55o

error55o Regular member

I'd patch that crap up to service pack 2 at least, then do you XBOXHDM iso

16. error55o

error55o Regular member

Windows xp is poo, I used 2000 to do the iso

17. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@error55o

Tell me I don't need a Mod Chip to do this, from what I'm been reading that is what required,

I'm back and frustrated and discust, ever since I reinstall Windows XP I have nothing but problem with the eeprom not been reconize, with the eeprom.bin in the eeprom folder of the XBOXHDM_V1.9. It seem to me I'm missing something from my computer, when I execute the program it did every thing it needed to do to create the Xbox HD, then I try to generate the eeprom password or try to lock the HD using the LOCKHD -A it tell me the eeprom.bin not found on the CDROM, so I boot the with boot linux with locking / unlocking utilities and use the LOCKHD -P then the password to lock the HD, after locking HD I plug it up to my Xbox and got an error 6 which mean the HD can not be unlock by my Xbox right? Is it possible to do it an other way without a Mod Chip.

The HD that I have is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 - 120Gbyes ST3120814A

18. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@error55o

Well, I finally soft modded my 120G HDD and put in my Xbox and it work just find, the process I went through to do this you all might find it hard to believe, before I accomplish this I was experimenting whit a 80G HDD and lock it and loose the key, I reinstall Windows XP because of a glitch, after reinstalling Windows XP and did quite a bit of Microsoft patches every thing wasn't the same nothing seem to work even the hot swap and the xplorer360 and the xboxhdm_v1.9 wasn't working either so what I did, I install Windows XP on a 30G HDD and work off that HDD and every thing turn out just right, thank to every one information, and now my Xbox running off the soft modded 120G and it was easier than I thought

19. error55o

error55o Regular member

Sorry for the delay, been off-line for a bit (moved house), glad you got it working hlp4me ^_^

20. henksoft

henksoft Member

xboxhdm: eeprom.bin not found! Everything works fine with xboxhdm, except for locking the hdd. eeprom.bin is in folder eeprom, but still it cannot be found. Using option 3 to manually insert the folder which contains eeprom.bin won't work. (I don't really know what the correct path is.... /dev/hdc/CD/eeprom/ or something like that...)
    Please help!