1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overall bitrate

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by catseba, Oct 13, 2005.

1. catseba

catseba Member

excuse my english,............ i want to know how many overall bitrate is enough.
    i have movies always have 2000 kbs and a little more, what will be best or minimal overall bitrate?
    Others pages says 3000 kbps
    please help for my question

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

What bitrate will look acceptable varies from one movie to another, so you can't make a generalization about how much is enough. The quality of the digital transfer, the amount of motion, the amount of detail, the number of edges, and the quality of the original source are all important factors, but the real test is visual quality. If you encode a disc and it looks fine then you have enough bitrate. If it doesn't look good enough you may not.

3. UncasMS_3

UncasMS_3 Regular member

2000kbps will still be very low and hardly give you really decent output with mpeg-2 that's for sure

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

catseba

Your bitrate should vary with the demands of each scene and won't be constant. A slow moving scene works fine with a lower bitrate because little is changing in the scene but an action scene involving lots of movement requires a higher bitrate. A bitrate of 2000 is fine for scenes with little movement but a problem when things start to happen.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  5. dekehead

dekehead Member

As a general guideline, I try to keep the average bitrate above 3400 if possible... The only way I'll enable myself to venture further under that would be if I were backing up TV episodes from DVD.