1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclock E4300

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by St_Nick, Mar 24, 2007.

1. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

Yup, I've got a E4300 and I'm interested in overclocking it. The only problem is, I don't know where to start. Any tips?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. check the overclocking thread in this forum.

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

whats the rest of your specs?

mobo, psu, ram?

4. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

I've got 2GB RAM at 533mhz (something like that). 250GB ATA hard drive and 7200rpm. Geforce 7300LE graphics card. That's all I know of. I bought my computer as a package so I don't know what motherboard I have.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

this will give you all the info you need. just download it, extract it to a folder and it will run from that, no istallation.

it takes a couple of seconds to start but it will give you a box with various tabs along the top. in the 3rd tab, called mainboard, it will show you the make and model of your mobo, aswell as the bios version which might be handy to know later.

in the other tabs it will also give you other info on your ram and the speeds of your cpu. which is handy too, as you can use it to view the fruits of your overclocking labour.

your ram may be an issue when it comes to ocing, but again this is deppendant on your mobo. with ddr2 667 you can get your cpu to 3.0GHz and not need to overclock your ram at all. with ddr2 800 you could (again mobo and cpu willing) get to 3.6GHz. your ddr2 533 will get you to just under 2.4GHz, without the need for fancy options in your mobos bios, before its being overclocked.

6. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

Thanks, that was better help than I expected. Will I need to buy new fans and cooling stuff?

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the make a model of your mobo will determin how, and how far, you can overclock. better cooling is never a bad idea but a small oc will not need any extra cooling. a small overclock may not even change your temps at all. if you are able to get an extreem oc then aftermarket heat-sink-fans will be needed for the cpu and possibly the mobo chipset so help remove the extra heat that will be generated.

to give you an idea of what is possible with a good combination of parts, i have seen reports of the e4300 hitting over 4ghz, i know of sombody who has one running at 3.6ghz, i have one (im using it right now) that can hit 3.3ghz(im sure it will go higher but i think im missing somthing somwhere). i run mine 24/7 at 3ghz. so like i said it will depend on how far you can go.

extra cooling is never a bad idea. cooler componants will run more stable and this is never a bad thing. most after-market coolers will also run quieter, which again is a good thing.

watching your temps now would be a good idea, then when you do overclock you will know what you are normaly getting and will know what increase you are getting in the temps.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

this will allow you to read all the temp sensors on you pc. if your chipsets are supported it will also allow you to change the speed at which your fans spin. this might already be controlled by your bios. now your bios is reactive, it changes the fanspeeds when you hit dif temps. with speed fan you can be pro-active, you can manualy change the fanspeed before your pc needs the cooling because you know its about to work harder. well thats how i do it.

edit
    to start the download click on the blue text the says speedfan 4.32 under the heading download

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  8. steimy

steimy Active member

so this 1.8GHz running at 4GHz, is the 4GHz the total amount for both cores, or does it run at 4GHz per core? I always wondered as i only did mine about .5 per core (well actually someone else was kind enough to tell me what settings to enter to OC it) So that my E6400 is running at 2.5 per core rather than 2.13 (at least it was, the BIOS upgrade may have wiped that out and i have no idea what the settins were. so far no problems but i do not want to push it too much. My specs are below in my sig if anyone has suggestions for OC settings.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

10. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

Okay, this is my motherboard information.
    Manufacturer: Dell
    Model: OWG864
    Chipset: Intel P965/G965
    Southbridge: Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH)
    Sensor: SMSC 830F

If you need any more info please tell me.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

goodnews/badnews

bad news

its a dell.
    most likely you will have no options in your bios to change the speeds and voltage running thru your mobo.
    please check as you might be lucky.

goodnews

the 965 chipset is as good as any for overclocking.
    there are software solutions that might support your mobo.
    clockgen can overclock your cpu from within windows and it is very easy to use.

disclaimer

overclocking will void your warrenty and any damage caused is your own fault.

12. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

Wow, so that program overclocks my computer for me? I won't have to open it?

13. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

How much do you think I should push the FSB and AGP to start. Also, do you know any programs that I can tell me how much further I can overclock?

14. St_Nick

St_Nick Guest

Sorry, one last question, which motherboard model should I choose from the list?

15. dazila

dazila Regular member

Your one which is a Intel 965.