1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking amd 2800 athlon xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rehmatt, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Hi slambo69, you should really get 1gb of pc3200 400mhz memory if you want your o.c to be stable, i don't think you'll get past a 185 fsb with pc2700 333mhz... get a Volcano 12 to handle the cooling like the DR. says these cpu make heat when o.c'd .....also make sure you can adjust the various voltages concernd with overclocking on your mobo (cpu core voltage, vdimm etc..) and use AS5 when reseatin' your hsf .... as for BF2 it's not so much your cpu it's more down to your graphics card as to weather or not it will run smoothly, best thing to do is wait untill the game comes out see what specs it requires and take it from there ... hope this helps ;)

p.s i have a spare Abit NF7-S v.2 mobo if your in the U.K & interested ...just needs the bios chip

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  2. slambo69

slambo69 Member

First of all, thanks for your reply.
    I have been looking up the jet 7 and it doesnt seem up to the job. After doing a bit of searching for the nvidia nforce 2 and it came up with the 'Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe ' which I notice is the same as yours Dr.x ;) Would it be Ok with my GFX card though?

Also, would you recommend me getting one of them, plus a Gb of pc3200 as well as a decent fan to overclock an AMD athlon xp 2800?

Alternitavely I might just do what you suggest and wait for it to come out, although definately get more memory.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  3. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

slambo extra memory is always good specially if you are a gamer ddr 400 is the best either if you oc or not is mostly need it to handle todays games ;).

a7n8x-e deluxe is a great mobo specially for overclocking and yes it is compatible with ati radeons vga cards most of the guys here have that mobo with ati cards!!

if you want to get something more powerfull as the one you have well get the mobo,cpu. but if you are happy with your current mobo,cpu them just go for the memory upgrade!!.

but let me tell you im very happy with the performance of my asus,xp2800 and geil memory is really worth it for the money ;)

4. slambo69

slambo69 Member

Again thanks for your reply, I'm still working out which option I should choose, but in the meantime, my current mobo, the A7s8x can take 1Gb of DDR 400, so what sort of performance would i get if I got 1Gb of pc3200 plus the amd athlon 2800 but not overclocked, and that way if i did need to overclock it I could get the A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo at a later date and ditch my current mobo. Does that sound feasible?

5. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

if you run 1gb of ddr memory yes you will note an increase in performance together with the powerfull xp 2800+.

then later you can go for the asus even if you do not overclock,asus has sata,raid interface which means faster hard drives with 8mb or 16mb buffer. and the nforce 2 400 chipset which is faster and more stable than sis 746fx. also the dual lan is great.

so go for the mem,and xp 2800+ on your current mobo to see how it runs if that fill your needs then stay there if you think is not enough or you want the extra performance go for the asus.

take it from there ;)

6. slambo69

slambo69 Member

Right, I'm going to get 1Gb of DDR 400(pc3200) and the athlon 2800 xp on my current mobo. Then yes, I may get a new mobo to overclock it. Thanks for your help Dr.xp, you have without a doubt saved me money and time!

7. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

glad i could help!!
    :)

8. Ohballz

Ohballz Member

hi peeps i had a k7s8x with a 2800+ in it and got mine to 2.35 stable with an aero pro (which i am still using but modified) with 512mb pc400. for a cheapass board( mine was £26!) it rocked. i now am a proud owner of an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and its stable at 2.5. i'd say unless you want to really push your 2800 stay with the k7s8x for now and slap it upto 2.35, maybe 2.38 but thats your limit, and make sure you have the voltage to auto adjust or something like that. i still have my asrock board and its o/c'd my 2500+ to a 3200+ (400*11) no problem!

9. kalunjoku

kalunjoku Guest

asus=god...

10. tdurick

tdurick Member

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I have done a bit of overclocking, but I have a few questions. I have an Asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo, 2800 barton, 1x512 kingston hyperX pc2700.

1)How can I tell if my multiplier is locked?

2)I am currently running @ 184mhz x 12.5 = 2.3ghz vcore @1.725, i believe my ram is timed at 2-2-2-5, but im not sure what order the timings are displayed in the mobo setup menu so i dont konw for sure if i have it timed right.

3)I have had very limited instability, its pretty solid. But it does crash when im really pushing it, like running ratDVD and several other apps at the same time. What is the most likely cause of this? I was at a vcore of 1.70 and it ran for about 3 hours and crashed, is it the voltage or should i have some pc3200 instead?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

11. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello tudurik jejejeje dream on dream on!! look 2800+ barton is god danm lock but its easy go to your bios and try to change the mult if it boot lucky you!!! if not then you know the answer!

about stability:

-first kingstong is among the best mem modules but..!! pc-2700 doesn`t give you much room for overclocking. 5-2-2-2.5 is really tight. ddr 400 is more stable highly recomend for overclocking.

give us more info like what heatsink you are using,temps reading
    and your mobo model

12. tdurick

tdurick Member

Yah, mine is definatley locked. My system runs at 56C load and 49C idle. I know you recomend the volcano, I plan to replace my cpu cooler. In addition I have two case fans. I am guessing that my problems are due to the pc2700. I was able to run at 184mhz X 12.5(2.30 GHz) with a vcore of 1.75. It was totally stable when ripping and converting dvd's. There is one particular application that tends to lock up my system though, united devices. If not familiar it is a distributed computing program that uses your idle cpu power to do cancer research number crunching(very cpu intense). When running that it will usually hang after about an hour. Temps stay stable at 56C, also the system does not restart like it normally does when i try to push up the system bus, it just locks up with a blank screen. I think I will invest in some pc3200 since im not going to switch processors for a while yet, but is there anything else I could do to improve stability?

Thanks alot for the help!

13. Jefferyb

Jefferyb Member

I have almost exactly the same setup as Mikey T1. With similar results. I have read elswhere on the net about this mb with the same results as Mikey and I. I am running the same setup with the same numbers so I will try anything reasonable to get better numbers while keeping it cooler than the frying pan that it is.....

Perhaps this thread is dead, geeze the mb is already a dinosarus.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

naw, the thread is still going strong & now you've replied, that'll start the ball rolling again. It's a top thread :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  15. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

tdurik as i said the main problen is the pc-2700.
    the program youre talking about is a cpu-stress test like. is almost the same as prime 95 it crash because your system is not stable(overclocked) so get the pc-3200 memory modules (corsair,ocz) dual channel(512x512) if your mobo runs on an nforce chipset. and better cooler and you will be running stable ah!! and case fans always help ;) 120mms or 80mm first are better one intake and the other exhaust or both intake..

16. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

hey ppl, i am new here..just signed up now and i have read this whole thread. U guys seem like a good bunch.
    I also have 2800 barton which i have clocked at 2.48Ghz
    the other hardware i run is 1GB of PC2700@398Mhz (won't hit DDR400 as it is generic crap) A-bit NF7-S Rev 2.0 mobo, 160GB sata HDD, Ati Radeon 9800XT and an antec true blue 480W PSU. My rig is completed air cooled as i personally feel water cooling is kinda cheating :p but thats just my personal thought. The 2800 is cooled with a thermalright SLK-900A heatsink with a 92mm fan. Also i have a vantec pci cooler card which i would recommend to anyone who overclocks and wants their graphics card to keep cool plus make ur case look a little nicer :) On top of that i have 5 case fans to keep the temps down as low as possible. I use Aquamark 3 to benchmark my Rig and my current highest score is 50,900 roughly...is that good considering the hardware and clocks i am running? any questions anyone has or any more info then just ask. I think we can learn a lot in forums like these. Cheers guys

17. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello welcome josh nice config.. you are an aircooling fan fan!! like me i have 10 fans on my case ;). and the powerful volcano 12.
    also thermalright is one of the best coolers.

your xp is 2.48 with ddr 333 mem amazing..

and you are right [bold]``learn and teach..ddp``[/bold]

and remember [bold]``overclocking is not just about numbers..``[/bold]

18. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

yep ur absolutely right. I managed to hit 2.48Ghz and 398Mhz with my 2700 by using the 6/6 divider and i slowly raised my fsb up to 398Mhz. I cna't change my ram timings at all either. My PC just won't boot and i end up having to reset CMOS. I tried to relax my timings so i could reach a higher fsb but i had the same result...so for now i am stuck, until i get some good high performance low latency ram. I know i can reach 2600Mhz with my 2800 because i have done it before, but i could only hit 2600 by running a ram divider and it ends up not performing as well coz the ram was running slower. So once i get the new ram i will be upping the FSB and my cpu *should* be stable at 2600Mhz. The hard part is trying to save up enough money for the parts i want/need lol

19. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

man!! 2600mhz that must be a record on this forum dude!!
    when you say ram divider are you talking about the fsb/ddr ratio??

20. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

yep thats the one, i messed around with the fsb/ddr ratio, i can't remember which one i had it on, but my ram was only running at something like 300Mhz but my cpu was at 2600Mhz. It must have been something like 1/4 or 1/5 ratio...i really don't know. It just wasn't very good as my ram was running roughly 100Mhz slower than what its running at now (398Mhz) my ram is seriously holding me back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.