1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking amd 2800 athlon xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rehmatt, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

OK, ill check that out.

try get low latency ram pc-3200 that will help you a lot

2. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

Yeah i want some OCZ..i have never had any good ram before, just generic crap so i think if i got some low latency OCZ or giel i think i would be very happy. Must start saving lol

3. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

4. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

Yup OCZ, Geil and Corsair are all good brands, i have even heard a lot of good stuff about a "patriot XBL" series. Have u heard of that? i think it is TCCD ram. I might have to check that out

5. tdurick

tdurick Member

Do you guys think that kingston hyperX seriex compares to OCZ and Corsair XMS? I see hundreds of positive reviews on newegg about those brands, but kington seems to offer the best timings yet has much fewer reviews. When comparing memory in the same class (ex. PC 3200) are timings the main distinguishing factor, or is there more to the story for a stable overclocker?

6. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

hey man, when it comes to ram i believe that corsair, ocz and geil are the best. The reason why they shine over all the other brands is because they offer great latency timings and are specifically designed so u can overclock. Kingston are still a good brand but if u really wanna see how far u can push ur system it is best to go for the best ram. Kingston may have some really good times when rated as ddr400...but i don't think that the kingston would hold those timings when u overclock as well as the ocz,geil and corsair would. If u don't want to overclock much then go for the kingston if the timings are good. If u have overclocking on ur mind then i would suggest to go all the way with OCZ, geil or corsair. Eitherway u will be very happy with ur decision if upgrading from generic ram :) hope i could help you out. Happy overclockin!

7. striker68

striker68 Guest

I'm almost ready to give up on OC'ing. Now that I have 1gig of Corsair XMS, I thought I'd give it another shot, but nooooooooo. BTW, the memory sticks are 2X512 3200DDR400, so why does my system show they are 166mhz???? I've tried to go back and read and re read this forum but still no success story here.

8. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

go into ur bios. I don't know MSI boards very well but there should be an option in there somewhere to change the speed ( e.g 266,333,400 ) i think when u make a hardware change with ram it automatically defaults back to 166 to be safe. Have a look around in ur bios man theres gotta be a way to fix it :) if u can't find it report back to me with what u did find and i'll try to help u out from there.

9. striker68

striker68 Guest

I tried the sticks individually. One boots at 200mhz. The other at 166.

10. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

bro it looks like u have a faulty stick, if u wanna run it 200Mhz, u'll have to use just the single stick for now, get the faulty one replaced. Coz if u use both sticks, it will only run as fast as the slowest stick. So u'd be stuck at 166...sorry man, RMA it and see if u can get a replacement coz thats not good enough for them to give u a dud like that

11. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

STRIKER JOSH is right maybe one of those stick is clock at 333mhz(166mhz *2) the other one at 400mhz(200*2) if your mobo boot one at 200mhz it means it support ddr 400 so return that 166mhz stick

12. striker68

striker68 Guest

Sucks to be me. Got them off ebay. I contacted the individual so we'll see. I tried to OC with the good XMS stick, but still no luck. What am I doing wrong. Is anyone familiar with MSI boards, should i just get an Asus. Everyone seems to have good oc luck with them. But my board has OC functions in the bios so I don't have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2005
  13. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

theres nothing wrong with MSI boards, just as long as they are top of the line MSI boards. I once had a msi board, but it wasn't very good, but yeah, if u have a top of the range MSI board, u can't get much better than that for overclocking unless u go for A64 3200 Venice combined with a DFI lanboy NF3. For what u have ur doin alright man just keep at it and read up about overclocking, u'll get to where ur hardware is happy and thats the best u can ask for

14. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

striker a good friend of mine use to have same mobo and msi say their mobos bundle with the i dont know corcell chip think is capable of that but in practice ive been thru many forums on overclocking and i never seen anybody using that mobo for o´c or succesfully o´c it....

get an asus a7n8x-e deluxe or abit nf7-s or nf7 rev.02 they are the best on this matter

15. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

yep Dr. XP is right, i have the A-bit NF7-S rev 2.0 and it rocks. Runnin PC2700 ram i can still overclock my 2800+ to 2.5Ghz. I know the Cpu is capable of hitting 2.6 but my ram just won't approve...so im saving for sum OCZ platinum Rev 2 ram with timings of 2-2-2-5 which i shall be very happy with when i eventually get it. So yes from my own personal experience i reccomend the A-bit NF7-S rev 2 motherboard to u. It'll do u proud once u know how to work everything in the bios. I'd gladly help you out with that also. Good luck

16. striker68

striker68 Guest

The DR. is in the house!!LOL. I think I'll try an ASUS. Thanks guys.

17. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

yeah man either one of those 2 boards are great. All the reviews i have read on the a7n8x-e deluxe board have all been great especially when considering overclocking. Which ever u decide u'll be happy with it. The only reason why i chose the a-bit over the asus was because i have a clear case i felt the a-bit would look better lol. Performance wise they are more or less the same.

18. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello guys,I LOVE THAT orange-red color plate of the abit my case is clear side to but asus looks good with that classic look ;)

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My mate & I got the same MSI boards. They work a treat. Had them for 18 months now.

No worries.

Pulsar

20. striker68

striker68 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.