1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking amd 2800 athlon xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rehmatt, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalunjoku

kalunjoku Guest

That looks like a nice board. Will you be using the SATA150 on it? Your stuff will BLAZE if you had one or more of those types of drives. How much is that baby anyways?

2. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

thats a nice board man, but if u wanna have the best a-bit overclocking board for socket A go for this one

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6

they look basically the same. The difference is the NF7-S is aimed at overclocking and the performance enthusiast. Ultimately its your choice tho. If u decide to go for this motherboard just make sure to go for the rev 2.0 board (NF7-S rev 2.0) its an overclockers dream i tell ya lol. anyways whatever u decide u should be pretty damn happy with the upgrade

3. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

ive been cheking both mobos the only difference i see is the sata 150 and raid support and the gbit lan card and the nf7-s has a cooling fan for the chipset the nf7-s2g dont or is it the picture on the webpage? than can be an issue when o´c.

i have the nf7 rev 2.0 is really good no sata but still good mobo..

4. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

i have the NF7-S rev 2.0 and it has Sata. Im runnin my 160Gb Sata HDD. I have had 5 computers and i have tried mobos from msi, gigabyte, chaintech and a-bit, the nf7-s takes the cake by miles for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
  5. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

I run the Abit nf7-s v2 and have had no problems with it and it o.c's with ease(nice and stable), also using the sata with 2x160g wd in raid 0 , which is nice ;)

6. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

good stuff jonni3 what clocks are u reaching with ur set up?

7. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

I have it 24/7 stable with a fsb of 198 @ 2483mhz, vcore 1.85v

8. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

bro thats exactly the same as my set up. Same clocks and all. The only difference is im using less Vcore. 1.725?? i think im on. and im pushing 2.8V into my generic ram and it still won't go any further than 198 lol..

9. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

It's kinda stable @ 200 fsb but in some applications it BSOD on me, but @ 198 no problems using Geil pc 3200...

10. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

nice man. But that Geil should go higher than that shouldn't it? mines DDR333 generic crap it sits on 198 also. Maybe we need a bios update? lol...i ran a ram divider and my cpu is good for about 2.6Ghz but the ram i have at the moment won't budge from 198 so im stuck for now, unless i try putting 2.9V into my ram...but thats risky.

11. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

I'll try one of tic tacs again, last one i went for killed my cmos/bios chip...gonna try hot swapping the old one and try putting a new bios on it

12. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

good luck with that man. its risky. I haven't even updated my bios as i don't have a working floppy drive in my pc. So without a bootable disk i can't at the moment. Ah well i'll wait till i get my OCz ram and we'll see how she goes.

13. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

what cooling do u have? whats the highest u've gotten ur 2800 to?

14. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Using the good ol' Volcano 12 + as5, highest clock is 2.5g ....Why don't you use the Abit flashmenu it downloads straight from the Abit site or from a stored file on your pc to update your bios ...you can download it from the Abit site

15. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

really? i didn't know that one. thanks man. i won't do that unless i know it'll improve overclockability tho. know anyone who has upgraded their bios? and what differences did it make?

16. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

i've never flashed a bios before. I just heard it can be a bit risky. What exactly would i have to do after downloading Flashmenu? download the bios update i want to use and then what?

17. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Abits flashmenu does it all for you, you run it in windows click the update bios tab, it downloads the latest bios from Abit verifys it all restarts your pc and all is well, alternativly you can download a modded bios (tic tac/mantray) to file and click the load bios from file tab, select the file and off it goes and installs the updated modded bios...the only way to find out if it makes any difference to o.c'in is to try it...generally the abit ones are very good if you want a modded bios let me know and i'll supply you the site address

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2005
  18. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

cheers man, u got a hotmail account? it'd be good to keep in contact with u, i think i can learn a bit from u.I am at work right now so i will maybe give that a try once i get home, or during the weekend (its friday here, im in New Zealand) Thanks for all the info and help jonni.

19. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Just PM you with it

20. josh2800

josh2800 Guest

sweet, just replied and sent u a quick email to test it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.