1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overclocking amd 2800 athlon xp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rehmatt, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

ive done alot of overclocking go to overclockers.com they got all the info.

2. Smale

Smale Member

Its an 2800 Thoroughbred B the stock speed is 2.25
    ive left the bios as they are but i did get it running at just over 2.3 stable but werent sure on what i was doing at the time. name me a good monitor and ill take sum screenshots

3. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

get cpu-z is the best you dont have to install it, mbm5 is really good to , hmonitor or speedfan
    but i prefer cpu-z and mbm5.

what mobo you are on?

4. Smale

Smale Member

unfortunately im stuck with a K7S8X rev 3 at the mo which is limits oc'ing trying to find out if its worth getting a new board i can push it more with. im working on those pics

5. Smale

Smale Member

6. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

get a board with the nforce2 chipset you can push it
    the asus a7n8x is pretty popular among overclockers and the abit nf7 and the nf7-s

and about your q just increase numbers in small amount until you get the high and stable frequency.

7. Smale

Smale Member

cheers

8. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

9. TCialek

TCialek Member

The Thoroughbred is not locked... Your multiplier is set at 13.5x. The locked setting on the Bartons is 12.5x. So instead of overclocking the entire system, only your processor is being overclocked.

10. Smale

Smale Member

Is that a good or a bad thing in terms of overclocking??

11. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

overclocking is safe if you know what youre doing and if you have the capable hardware like good cooling sys like case fans,good cpu cooler (volcano 12,11,thermalright).

just read about your mobo and cpu in the forums

12. kalunjoku

kalunjoku Guest

Yeah, he's right. As long as you have the proper cooling, you'll be fine. GET THE VOLCANO 12!! It's awesome.

13. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Interesting because the

XP2200
    Core = Thoroughbred A
    FSB = 133Mhz
    Multiplier = 13.5
    Final = 1800Mhz
    So getting 1.8Ghz is expected.

XP2800
    Core = Barton
    FSB = 166Mhz
    Multiplier = 12.5
    Final = 2075Mhz
    Since you're only getting 1.77Ghz, check that the mobo isnt running the CPU is "safe boot" mode :)

Reset everything to defaults/automatic to see what voltages are expected ... and overclock from there ... for 166Mhz -- which is what it should be, you should be using the "default" voltage (1.65V)

1. Check temps/cooling
    2. Try upping the voltages by 0.025 :)

Not the 2500 and 2600. All the later ones are however.

With NF2 boards running asynch isnt a problem. With VIA boards you can usually get away with it without a problem -- but not always.

No. 3Ghz is way outside of the range of a 15 stage chip :) (well not really but effectively so)

No. And get used to it -- because Intel doesnt use Mhz anymore either :)

Only if its overly hot

Whats this FPS thing?

FSB = 200Mhz
    Multiplier = 11.0 :)
    Enjoy

Not unless you need to.

If you have a locked multiplier one you'll have to increase the FSB as you (obviously) wont be able to touch the multiplier :)

Thats a pretty big jump all at once ... might want to take smaller jumps

Lets avoid the allcapsing

No. XP2500s can be OC'd to 2.44GHz.

Isnt that great? :)

Thats from the program's perspective. For the system to protect itself, the mobo needs to (properly) support overheat shutdown :)

Well without fans HDDs can touch 55° ... with even basic cooling they'll stay at 30ºC :)

Wow. Firstly, i'll pretend i can read that. Secondly you'll note that a hdd fan IS a fan "in the case that blows air to 'de' hhd". You'll also note that fancier setups like the Vantec Vortex do a very nice job of keeping the HDD cool.

That's overclocked. They are rated for 2.08Ghz

Of course, make sure to get the later revisions.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  14. Molks

Molks Member

Ive been trying to get mine to overclock past 2.2 or thereabouts with the FSB past 175 MHz (Vcore 1.75). As far as I can tell this 0.13 process with the barton core has its limits around here. Problem is Im thinking that cos I have a power hungry graphics card, with my 400W power supply (190W combined, check yours out) the sys is overstressed for stability.

Another issue is with DDR400 compatibility; has anyone noticed that with A7N8X the new bois sets better mem compatibility timings for overclocking?

The FSB is no problem, should easily overclock, we need to unlock the multiplier to get better performance.

Any ideas?

15. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

OK, TRY NOT TO TOUCH YOUR VCORE LEAVE IT IN DEFAULT SETTINGS, THE FSB INCREASE ALONE IS MORE STABLE.

ABOUT THE POWER SUPPLY YOU NEED A HIGH QUALITY POWER UNIT THATS REALLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE YOU NEED STABLE VOLTAGES, ONE OTHER THING YOUR MEMS WHAT BRAND YOU ARE USING??. and cooling??

Dr.xp
    abit nf7 mobo
    athlon xp 2800+ oc to 2.2ghz
    gigabyte 3d cooler pro (4400 rpms)
    (2x256) 512 ddr pc-2700
    gforce fx 5200 128 ddr (sorry about that)
    7 case fans

16. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Dr.xp is right about the vcore voltage, try and leave it alone if you can. But if your overclocking by increasing the FSB it will make your system more [bold]unstable[/bold] and you will more than likely have to increase the vcore.

17. TCialek

TCialek Member

Here's an article about unlocking the multiplier. I tried it, but it was not successful. I think I may not have allowed the paint to dry fully (read the article and you'll know what im talking about). It's worth a shot if you want to take the risk on your system, but make sure you connect the exact pins it says to. Double, tripple or quadruple check before booting.

http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_unlock/

18. kalunjoku

kalunjoku Guest

I OC'd my cpu again. Now its an Athlon XP 2800+ running at 2.41 GHz. It seems stable to me. No lock ups or anything.

19. Sam37

Sam37 Guest

Hi, Im new to overclocking so I could do with a little help.

My current PC is athlon xp 2800 w/thermaltake silentboost heatsink, 1024 PC3200 RAM, Mobo: DFI Lanparty NFII ultra B.

The CPU is Athlon xp 2800 which is supposed to run at 2083 but Ive managed to get it to 2213mhz. According to SiSoft's SANDRA it's now equivalent to an athlon xp3200 but windows displays it as an athlon xp 2800 still. Is this a problem?

The BIOS settings now are as shown:

FSB: 177mhz (originally 166mhz)
    CPU ratio: X5 (Is this the multiplier??), Used to be "default" (one before X5)
    DDR DRAM Clock: 1:1 (used to be "SPD", which gave it ~200mhz but I read somewhere 1:1 ratio (177mhz) is good (Is this true?))
    CPU voltage - Auto - 1.64V
    DIMM voltage - auto - 2.62V

Could you just check that this appears right because this seems to be different to what other ppl on this thread are saying. BTW Mother Board Monitor 5 says the CPU temp is 31C, which seems a little too low to me (not that its a bad thing!), but worries me because ive heard CPU readings can be wrong sometimes.

20. TCialek

TCialek Member

That's pretty much what I'm running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.