1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. impera

impera Guest

Sup everybody!

Have read all the stuff that all you guis have already done with the OC of several processors, pretty amazing.
    Now, i have a question

Got an XP2000+, suposedly is a BARTON (can this be possible, the letters on the micro are AXDA?) and now i'm OC to 1.8Ghz with FSB 150, multi not changed and voltage not changed, temps are around 35degrees. I have an MSI KT3Ultra2R running fine, with an Kingston 256Mb x 2 PC2700. The settings for my memories are 2-3-3-6 and are running pretty fine. BUT being as greedy as i am, i wonder if there is a chance that i can OC for 2.1Ghz or more, i have good cooling (Thermaltake TR2 M2) running a LOW with no temp problems. HOW CAN I GET THE 2Ghz or more?
    have played with the FSB and i cant go beyond 150, the system locks or reboots, tryed the voltage (1.60, 1.625, 1.655, 1.675, 1.70) with higer FSB = no results.
    Thnks guys!

2. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

XP2000 is not I repete NOT a barton. the Bartons start with the XP2500. If I recall correctly the xp2000 is a t-bird 266mhz. I never had one to over clock I did a little with a xp1900 then moved up to the xp2400, then the xp2500 333mhz which is a barton
    That MSi mb is a nice rock solid board I don't recall how well it overclocked but I can give you a few tips that may help.First with air cooling having your heatsink lapped for the best contact will help control the heat.Update to the latest bios. If you want to try other multipliers there is something you may want to consider trying it's called a speed strip
    it will unlock more multipliers it costs around $15
    and I have seen it at frozencpu.com and a few other places
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Mom always liked me best!
    My New Rig!
    Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum Mb NF3 250gb
    ATi X800 Pro
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum/Klipsch Promedia 4.1 with monstercable
    MSI DVD Rom
    Iomega Super DVD
    Maxtor 2x 160gb SATA
    NEC AccuSync 96F[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
  3. impera

impera Guest

Ok, thanks for pointing out that, now i know for sure that is a t-bread.
    I have no problems with the cooling, its ok even at low rpm's
    I have tryed for an FSB=157 and 1.625v and i got a boot to winXP, but after 10 mins or huge demand, the system locks and i have to turn off.
    for the speed strip is completely out of my reach, no contacts on US or near, no creadit card or so, since i live on Mexico.
    I have tried also the PIN MOD, with wich i have made an 1700+ work OC like at any multi i want, just changing the wirings. its not that tough, once you can manage the tiny wires, BUT it didn'n worked with the 2000+, dunno why.

I can't pass from 150 and auto voltage with 12.5x/13x set on my mobo.

4. impera

impera Guest

oh btw, i have my RAM running now at 183.7Mhz, is that ok, shall i leave the settings at auto?
    does anybody knows what is the bank interleave on the memories?

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Or a Palo.

You sure? Run it through CPUz from http://www.cpuid.com and check. It could be a Palo :p

6. impera

impera Guest

Yap, ran CPUid and CPU-Z, one says its a T-BREAD, for sure, IT IS NOT a PALO or a T-BIRD. still i saw another way to unlock the multi on AMD chips, with a tiny wire on the ZIF, but its only one wire, i have tried the pin mod with at least 5 wires. thats odd! :)

7. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

the speed strip does what the wire mod does, I have yet to hold one and see whats up with it but ordered one to see how it does with a xp2400 I gave my nephew
    I know it's plastic but can't tell much else except that it goes over a group of pins on the bottom of the cpu.And if I recall most places accept money orders as a form of payment , being in Mexico hasen't cut you off from the world.There are plenty of places I wouldn't mind living in in Mexico I was married to a mexican gal

8. impera

impera Guest

oh isee, shall look for it, but i prefer to do it myself rather thatn buying something. im pretty good at soldering and wiring small things.

still, tried the "one wire trick" on the 2000+ t-bread and .... WRONG, no results, tryed several FSB, tryed to lower the multi, to up the multi -> nop, the chip simply does not let me go beyond 1.87 Ghz.

9. IceMS

IceMS Member

Did you try to raise the CPU voltage Impera? I mean like to 1.8-1.85V. It could help... I managed to get my t-bred athlon200++ running at 10*211 MHz, but still it differs from piece to piece how overclock-able the CPU is, at least I think so.

10. impera

impera Guest

yahooo!!!

finally got this thing working at 166 FSB with 12.5x, i was not able to unlock the lower multipliers :(

Final results

FSB 166 Mhz, 1.65v, 12.5x -> 2087 Mhz, memories at 2-3-3-6, 1T command enabled, 4-way interleave, speed at ultra
    FSB 150 Mhz, 1.6v, 12.5x -> 1880 Mhz, memories at
    2-3-3-6, 1T command enabled, 4-way interleave, speed at normal.

THNKS EVERYBODY, i shall post for further developments, as well as to help anybody else who might need it!!!

11. Moylan

Moylan Member

someone was mentioning a bit further up about unlocking the cpu. a funny thing is I didnt have to unlock mine, but it definetly is overclocked i have checked with benchmarking utils.

12. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

Yo, long time no speak :p
    Preator, what mobo did U recommended to me ?
    I cant remember it`s name :S
    And all the stuff in the Forum over AMD Athlon XP 2000+ OC`ing doesn`t has anything to do with OC`ing the AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ....
    Just a tip ;)

13. Xerox-90

Xerox-90 Guest

[bold]Oyeah, and that stuff under my post[/bold] :

I want to clock over my CPU ( AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ) but my brother says i better wont do it..... i dont know an overclock program for my AMD Athlon XP 2000+. plz react with a link for a overclock program :D

how do I delete that :) ?

[​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I want to clock over my CPU ( AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ) but my brother says i better wont do it..... i dont know an overclock program for my AMD Athlon XP 2000+. plz react with a link for a overclock program :D[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  14. YankInOZ

YankInOZ Member

Is there a wire method of unlocking the Pally XP2000? I've seen where you can bridge all the L1 links to configure the chip for unlocked at 1.85v, but don't these L1 (and L2, 3, and 4) points come out at different pins underneath? (In fact, the link table I saw showed you could leave all the L1 links open, and join different combinations of the L2, 3, and 4 pins to lock the chip at your choice of one of about a dozen different speeds and voltages.) I've seen that you can unlock a Tbread with just two pins connected.

15. Praetor

Goto your account settings and change your profile.

You shouldnt really have to do anything fancy to unlock Palos (at most, connect the L1 bridges). Of course, the Palos arent so keen on OCing as they will become heat buckets.

16. YankInOZ

YankInOZ Member

I'm not sure that what I want to do, is to overclock. It seems to me that FSB speed is King. My understanding is that the XP2000 runs at a 133MHz FSB (DDR267) and 12.5x, meaning the CPU clock is 1.667GHz. What I would like to do is keep the CPU clock at 1.667GHz, but crank the full 200MHz FSB potential out of the board. I've read some of these boards get up to 210MHz FSB. So, if I kept the 1.667GHz CPU clock, while I reduced the multiplier to say 8.5x or 8x, then I figure I could get to a FSB of 196MHz or 208MHz, respectively. At this stage, I'm not so interested in changing the CPU clock.

So, you think you have to do the bridges on the CPU rather than dropping wires into the ZIF CPU socket?

17. impera

impera Guest

OH well, since i finally hit the 2Ghz barrier, the system is quite stable, at least while running applications and stuff, can be for hrs working on that with no problems, even running the Prime95, with no problems.
    HOWEVER, it seems that when i pay QUAKE 3, my system locks. :(
    tryed several memory timings -> can only get a little more of playing time.
    tryed rising a bit the mem. and processor voltage -> same thing, still locks.
    Well it seems that i have to use only the FSB=150 in order to get the system to run stable WITH THE GAME. :p
    Well, it was fun having the proc. at 2Ghz, while it lasted. ^_^

18. Praetor

YankInOZ
    You're probably better off upping your multipliers

19. cah87

cah87 Guest

hi you all my name is chris and im a hardcore intel man =D lol, but i want to go AMD and overclocking

okay my setup will be::
    watercooled and i was wondering what kind of overclocking numbers i could get i would like a cheaper processor but a real nice MOBO for overclockking like an ASUS so which processor should i use that is less then $220
    and what kind of overclocking numbers should i see at the maximum (watercooled) Thanks

-Chris

20. cah87

cah87 Guest

Also i was wanting to overclock FSB and MEmory speeds is this possible?