1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

play away and enjoy yourself

2. Hifi311

Hifi311 Member

Thanks

3. hydr0

hydr0 Member

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. I have it overclocked to an Athlon XP 2200+ (1.81GHz) and its fine. I have read it can get up to a 2300+ w/o problems, but I'd rather not try. I don't have a stock fan, I have a Speeze cooler that I purchased for 10$ off of newegg.com and it is keeping my CPU (while overclocked @ 1.81 GHz) at about an average of 41 degrees celcius.

I also have 512 DDR pc2700 RAM, an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro in my comp.

But the overclocking on this XP 2000+ to a 2200+ (145 frequency) is running absolutely great. Temp is staying fine, even after running big processes and putting it to the max!

Great to overclock, but be careful. I would be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS if you are overclocking with a stock AMD HSF because when I had my stock fan, it ran about 20 degrees celcius warmer...actually I think it might have been around 70-80 celcius, and that is why I upgraded my fan...

Good luck to all you overclockers. This CPU was my first ever overclocking, and so far it's been successful!

4. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Hydro how did you do it?
    can you put a step by step guide
    i have the same spec so please tell me

5. hydr0

hydr0 Member

Restart my computer,

1. get into BIO's (I hold down delete to get to BIOs...either f8 or del, i believe to get into it on computers)
    2.Then i went to frequency settings.
    3.I then went down a few options to "CPU Frequency (MHz)" It had something that said 133lowest/166highest.
    4. I set mine to 145, 150 it ran a little too hot, so I kept it at 145. I also read 150 (1.86 GHz) is about as high as you'll want to overclock the Athlon 2000+)
    5. Then i saved settings in BIO's and let windows restart.
    6. Either right click My Computer & choose properties, and you'll notice if it says AMD Athlon 2200+.
    7.I use a program called, WCPUID. Search for it on google. Here's the exact link. http://cgi2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~nrklv/cgi-bin/softdl.cgi?wcpu330.exe

Need any more help, let me know

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  6. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Thanks alot i will try that in a bit and i will tell you how it goes. I have 2 case fans, the power fan and the vpu fan do u think that will be enough or will i have to buy a new heatsink fan. mine was a oem athalon chip so the local shop got the cpu fan out of a new box i expect he bought cheap ones to save money but he puts them on higher athlons i think it will be enough. what the ideal temp it should be?

7. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Well i overclocked it to xp2200+ and its running good so am gonna try 150. whats thes limit?

8. hydr0

hydr0 Member

The limit is about 150, actually, honestly, I wouldn't go to 150...but, it's your computer, do whaty ou want, just be careful!

I think the highest you can get is like 70-90 degrees celcius...Mines running anywhere from 38-45 celcius..Not sure on the limit though, I can check up on it and post later on if I find out.

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  9. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Yeah please can you check. Well i have it on 150 everything is running fine at the mo. i have 4 fans in total do u think thats ebough i will check my temp now and see what it is

10. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well my cpu temp is 44 degrees celcius and m/b temp is 36 degrees is that good should i push it more?

11. hydr0

hydr0 Member

The temperature is fine, don't push the CPU anymore, you might just burn it out if you try more. I read that when pushed over the 2300+ it burns out or doesn't work. I wouldn't do it if i were you :p

I looked up maximum AMD CPU temps. It is as follows
    150 degrees Fahrenheit = 65.5555556 degrees Celsius
    No higher than 65 degrees celsius

12. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Hydro i hahve pushed it to 2400+, 2046Mhz
    Temp is fine
    the number is 164
    i put 165 and i wouldt boot
    i checked my temp from the bios
    how can i check the temp when its doing alot of stuff? I wanna check it from windows

13. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I download Hmonitor and everything seems to be working great at 164. and i am going to leave i on overnight to check if its stable enough.

14. hydr0

hydr0 Member

Wow, thats crazy..lol..I can't believe you've gotten it running that fast, watch out though, the higher you overclock your CPU, the less it has to live.

I use motherboard monitor to monitor my cpu temp.. It monitors my CPU and Case temp.
    http://www.techwarelabs.com/downloads/?action=download&id=144
    that is the link to motherboard monitor download.

15. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well it got unstable at 165 so i am keeping it at 160 which means i have overclocked it from xp2000+ to xp2400+! well i was wondering how i can push it furder while keeping it stable? and how much is the cpu life shorten by overclocking

16. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

65degrees celsius is ok for those chips -- they can handle much more than that -- not that its a good thing but its nothing to panic over quite yet. :)

17. hydr0

hydr0 Member

Dam, I can't even get mine overclocked to a 2300+. I put the freq. to 150 and I can't boot up

Doesn't matter to me though, it does what I need it to do fast enough. I'm planning on doing some upgrading soon anyway (new processor, another 512 of RAM, and an additional 160 gb hdd).

Good luck with your computer, and I'm not quite sure what you can do to make it more stable, I'm guessing thats as high as you'll get it, while keeping it stable at the same time.

18. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

well i set to 160 and its running great and its at 20-25 normal use temp and 45 in extreme use

19. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You get 20-25°C off an AMD XP2000+ from regular use??????? If so, make sure you check/reinstall whatever system you've got to check temps cuz them Palo's get real hot real fast (i.e, boot temp of 38-46 depending on ambient). Got me a pair right here, one running a Volcano7+ and the other a Volcano11+ and can barely keep them below 50 during intensive work (ambient temperature ~25°).

20. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor did everything you told me and now taht i have had it on for a hour and been downloding and browsing the temp is at 34 for cpu and 37 for mainboard. is that good or is my software gone i dont think the software is because it shows the sames as the one in the bios. i was running max payne 2 with onboard graphics card yesterday and after a few hours of use it was at 45 i think which i think is good. how much is my cpu life shorten by overclocking it from xp2000+ to xp2400+ which am running now