1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. hydr0

hydr0 Member

how the hell is yours running so cool????? jesus

2. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I guess my heatsink must be good and the extra 2 fans that came with my zorro case certainly help. my friend who is running a true xp2200+ temp went to 55 after a game of max payne 1 an dhe only has a normal case

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

hydr0:
    You say you cant get yours to run XP2300+ (which i would assume to be ~1.9Ghz) -- what mobo you runnin?

Well I must say I am incredibly worried for your computer -- my Pentium3-800 doesnt run that cool (okay maybe it does but i have some tricked out cooling on it -- the stock variants dont reach those lows)

If you are running the ASROCK mobo from page 1 of this thread then if ASROCK is a subcompany of ASUS you might have a chance at the OC (does anyone know if ASROCK is a subcompany for ASUS?) and if so, you might want to use the ASUS Monitor tool to measure the temp of your stuff again. Unless you live in Syberia or Antarctica or something like that, your mobo temp should be in the 30°C range even if you only have onboard video which generates less heat.

1. Well firstly, if you are running the same mobo as per page1 of this thread, that mobo has a 266FSB and you've effectively clocked it to 333FSB which is quite the heat banger.
    2. What HSF do you have running?
    3. For the record do you have a ThoroughbreadA or Palomino? There's a big difference in the heat output of those two families however the drop doesnt take one down to the 30°C arena. Since you said that you have a 266Mhz-based mobo, i will assume you are running the Palomino (which is a heat cannon)

To save everyone some work in looking stuff up, here's the low-down on the two variants of the XP2000+
    Palomino XP2000+
    Actual Speed: 1.67Ghz
    FSB: 266Mhz
    Multiplier: 12.5
    Core Voltage: 1.75
    Max Power Consumption: 70W
    Process: 0.18micron
    Max Voltage: 1.85
    Maximum OC Potential 1.8Ghz (XP2200) << note that this is with some fancy ass cooling

Thoroughbread A XP2000+
    Actual Speed: 1.67Ghz
    FSB: 266Mhz
    Multiplier: 12.5
    Core Voltage: 1.60-1.65 depending
    Max Power Consumption: 60W
    Process: 0.13micron
    Max Voltage: 1.80
    Maximum OC Potential: 1.86Ghz (XP2200) << note that this is with some fancy ass cooling

Now unless you have your numbers mixed up or your software is messed up then I would hazard a guess that your actual thermal diode is cracked out -- touch the heatsink for a bit -- if you cant touch it comfortably for more than a short while then it is NOT running 30-35° -- you can hold on to a 30-35°C heatsink for damn near forever.

When I had my Palomino XP2100+ (its at home now so i cant verify) with a Volcano7+ HSF in the middle of winter -- with my window open 24-7 (hey -- im crazy) I kept a temp of 34-38° under mild duress. Come springtime i lived in the 40-44°C range. Middle of summer I was hitting 55°C on a daily basis with little or no stress (and thats with 10+ fans in the case) -- so check to see if the diode is reporting the proper temp cuz I dont think it is
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  4. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor am pretty sure my temp is correct, I have a picture if you want to see but i dont know how to upload it

5. Praetor

Im not suggesting you are not reading the values correctly -- im suggesting that either the program itself is reporting incorrect values or thermal diode is messed up. -- i would know, my thermal diode is messed up and when i goto bios it keeps messing up between CPU and MOBO temps -- and has a 30°C fluctuation.

You havnt answered my question though: what heatsink-fan are you running on that? Cuz unless you got some form of peltier or water-rig in there, XP2000s dont run at those temperatures let along OCd Palominos (which you also didnt answer my question regarding).

6. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I havent got a clue on what version am running and i also dont know which heatsink am using. Its probably a normal one for athlons up to 3000 i think.

7. Praetor

In that case i can absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt tell you that either the software is messed up or the thermal diode is on crack.

The stock AMD XP fans dont give temps in the range of 30-34°C -- even if you underclock the chips. You need fancy cooling to get that kinda temp -- not to mention that temperature under duress. Are you sure you dont have the CPU temp mixed up with the mobo temp? 30-34° is normal for mobo but certainly not for a stock-cooled Palomino chip.

Hydro said it best:
    EDIT: I just realized you said ur CPU runs 20-25 normal and 45 as a max (as opposed to 30-35 which i somehow interpreted) ... i can definitely tell you something is quite wrong. Even Pentium3 500s using 2 fans (the Slot P3s) werent that cool. Hell my Coppermine-800 boots up at 30ºC
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  8. Unibonger

Unibonger Guest

Here's a few overclocking tips , you guys are a daring bunch after reading your attempts , scary reading.
    1st having a good sized heatsink and fan is great to handle the load but preparation will get you much farther.
    I'm talking about Lapping the heatsink, most heatsinks come from the factory ill prepared for overclocking because the metal has grooves in it where it makes contact with the core of the cpu.
    Where you have grooves you can get air pockets even after the thermal paste is applied(get rid of those thermal pads) Lapping is done by using progressively finer grades of sandpaper to create a mirror or near mirror finish on the bottom of the heatsink which is then placed on the core with a thinly applied high grade thermal paste like Artic Silver, or Shi Etsu doing this alone properly can knock your temps 10c or lower.
    Another source of heat for overclockers is the North Bridge chipset, if it has a passive heatrsink on it you may be getting lots of heat there as well switching to an active cooling solution can help greatly.
    For the older Athlon XP's "only" you may want to look at a thing I saw called a "speed strip" they are at places like frozencpu.com and a few other places average price is something like $12-$14 it unlocks the multiplier on the Athlons and is a very simple device to use.I'll be back with more tips when I can see straight

9. Praetor

1. Not neccesarily (and hence the reason bridge fans are omitted on ASUS boards) -- often you will find that if there is a fan there, dust has a tendency to settle and harden which makes that heatsink essentially a heat insulator.
    2. Note that the bridge heatsinks are typically aluminum (and specifically not copper) because aluminum has the ability to take heat away from the source and slowly bleed it into the ambient environment and still be effective as it absorbs heat (cooper heatsinks on the otherhand, without lots of airflow become quite ineffective and detrimental to the cooling capacity of your device since copper loses its effectiveness as it absorbs more heat). This is also the reasoning behind the use of Al-Cu HSFs -- the copper quickly gets the heat out of the device and "stores" it in the aluminum and while the aluminum bleeds it off, the copper component is still effective

I dont argue that lapping is not effective however just observe the CPUs in question and their operating temperatures .... using stock cooling there isnt a snowball's chance in hell the XP2000+ is running 20-25 idle temp -- even in the winter. Now for (theoretical) argument sake, assume it is running at that temperature -- when you put it under duress it jumps to 45°C -- that's a potential increase in temperature of 125% -- a clear sign of something quite wrong. No chip, from idle to stress should really be doubling its temperature and here this XP2000+ is "doubling and a bit more" (and I havnt factored in the fact its not an XP2000 but rather an XP2000 that has been OCd)

10. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

ive got to agree with preator an xp 2000 plus chip is not running at 25 to 30 with stock cooling ive got one in one of my machines with a volcano 7 running at 4500 rpm cpu temp is 30 to 31 at idle and thats with 2 independent sensors from two different devices.

11. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Praetor left my computer on all niht doing nothing really and the temperature is around 40-45 and i think it will go up under stress. the temps i saw were when i switch my computer on after 12 hours completely off. so i guess what i gave before were completely wrong, plus the software is wrong

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  12. Praetor

40-45 is a much more reasonable and expected temperature ... run something really intensive and i would not be surprised to see the chip hit the 60° mark so you might want to consider more (effective) cooling

13. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Is it necessary? I only copy dvds download and play max payne 2 with the onboard graphics and thats it

14. hydr0

hydr0 Member

I will soon be buying a 2500+ Barton.

Now preator...my friend has a 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+. Guess the 2500+ is the chip to overclock. I will also be going to 1024 pc 2700 when i get the CPU.

I'm having a new problem also:

When I play a game (any full screen game) the game will lock up, my monitor will shut off and say "No Signal" (as if it were unplugged from the card) and then I can hear the gameplay being.

Could this be bad heads on the card? Bad monitor cord?

It started doing this when i updated my drivers. I rolled back and it happened again. I have switched from 8x AGP to 4X and so far I haven't had a problem. Will give updates if this occurs...

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  15. Praetor

Kamran: if thats all you are doing, is OCing your case really neccesary? (and 'sides would you want to risk it?)
    hydr0 : the XP2800s are also a lovely bunch to OC and as for your monitor, check the actual pins on both the monitor and video card end of things -- i kept wondering why my screen was flickering green then i realized the pins were absolutely MASHED in

16. hydr0

hydr0 Member

hahah, I'll check, thanks though...

17. hydr0

hydr0 Member

Well, actually, since I switched to AGP 4x...its been absolutly fine..played some halo for about an hour ( a couple times for an hour :) ) and some counter strike. Seems fine. I'm wondering why its locking up on 8xAGP setting...the whole monitor thing is odd....Happens again I'll post :) Thanks preator

18. Moylan

Moylan Member

Well I Know this wouldnt look to "cool" at a lanbash or anything but My way of keeping my cpu at a max loaded temp of 45 (XP2000 overclocked too 1905Mhz) I take the two side of my case off, and stick a big boxx fan right next too it, it never goes above 50 in summer, and in normal running temp, like while im writing this, it is at 21 degrees, the air is 14 degrees, but still it keeps it nice and cool.

19. Praetor

LMAO I did that last summer!!!! I still couldnt keep the temp <50ºC tho (XP2100 under stress in 30°C+ weather) ... used a damn nice superfan too! One point tho: you wouldnt need to take off both sides of the case would you? ;-)

20. Hifi311

Hifi311 Member

Okay...I need some more input from you experts.

(my original post was on the 1st page of the thread)

I have my Athlon XP 2000+ at 1.82Ghz (basically 2200+ speed). FSB is 290Mhz and RAM speed is 290Mhz (Viking 512MB PC2700). The RAM of course will run faster ..but it's probably better to have the FSB running at the same speed.

Anyway my question is about voltages. How high should I bump up the CPU core since I've upped the FSB by 12Mhz? It's a Shuttle Nforce2 Ultra board.. so I tried 1.825..and it crashed during a virus scan (though temps were in the low 50s). I have it a 1.85 right now. Also bumped the AGP and RAM voltages up by .05 just in case..tho the agp bus isn't overclocked. Someone give me a method to my madness lol! THanks.

AthlonXP 2000+ @ 1.82gHz
    Shuttle AN35N Ultra mobo
    512MB PC2700 @ 290Mhz
    TDK CD/RW
    Hi-Val DVD
    80GB 8MB WD 7200
    Gainward Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x @ 280/550Mhz
    2 x Seagate ATA 100 20GB
    1 x Seagate ATA 100 30GB
    ATI TV Wonder PCI
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Promise Ultra 100TX2